9

Dianna's POV

Skylar wasn't home so I decided to walk over to Nick's and see what he was up to. I just needed to be out of my house. Being home makes me miss my mom even more than I usually do.

"Hey, stranger." Nick hugged me, "I haven't seen you here in awhile."

I pouted, "aww, does someone miss me being around?"

"Yes actually."

"Well, once the season's over, we'll have more time to hang out." I smiled.

He stood at the door in silence. Usually when this happens, there's something going on in his head that he can't really process.

"You alright?"

"Has Skylar been acting weird with you lately?"

"I haven't been hanging around her enough to determine that."

"That's what's weird. I haven't seen you two hanging out as often. You're usually attached at the hip. I can see the disconnect that's happening."

"You're really observant for a guy who barely even has time for himself around this time of the school year. But I know she isn't seeing anyone because she hasn't told me anything. She can't keep her mouth shut for the life of her."

"I don't know how you've made this friendship work for so long."

"It's only been two years."

"Just promise you'll be careful with anything you tell her. She snapped on Kevin the other day and we both know that Kevin doesn't have a bad bone in his body."

"What could Kevin possibly have done to her?" I wondered, "all he does is mind his own business, an unproblematic king."

"Exactly. There's something going on with her and I have a feeling it isn't a good thing."

"Are you a psychic?"

"I wish. Then I'd be able to predict whether or not we're going to win our next game." he nudged me. "Seeing that you seem totally out of it, are you okay?"

"I guess I've had better days."

He walked me over to the couch, "talk to me."

"I miss my mom. My dad and I went to visit her grave today and an overwhelming amount of memories came flooding back."

"How's your dad handling this?"

"Better than I am. But I think he feels like one of us has to be strong so he took it upon himself to play the part."

"Are you still blaming yourself for her death?" he asked me. I sat there, neither confirming nor denying his question, "D, you need to forgive yourself. You can't save everyone. I mean, just look at the Avengers–"

"Talking about them is still a little touchy to me." I paused, "if we could please not talk about them right now." I begged.

Tony and I met through my dad, obviously. When he discovered Peter, he knew how well I knew technology and asked me to help him make Peter's suit, Tony made my suit.

He and my dad were the two people that got me into tech. He taught me half of the things I know about the technological side of things when it comes to superheroes, their suits, and their gear. Sam might be the new Captain America, but I've taken the role of making everyone look good and keep them safe while they help keep other people safe–the way that Tony did.

With everyone else, throughout the time my dad was gone, we grew a bond and they became my second family. There was always something going on in is dysfunctional family, both good and overdramatic.

My dad told me that at one point, Tony said he wished I was around to help them build the gauntlet as well as wishing I was able to help them build the quantum realm machine. I will forever be grateful for my time with Tony.

"I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it."

"It's okay."

"Why don't we watch some movies? Take you away from reality for a bit."

"Please."

Nick got up and popped in Footloose. Peter isn't the biggest fan of this movie, and neither am I, but he's trying his best.

Peter's POV

I went out to patrol late tonight and suddenly things in my suit started malfunctioning. The only person I know well enough to fix this probably still hates me for trying to kiss her the other night. But if I was going to keep this city safe, I need my suit working properly.

"Oh my god, what happened to your face?" her eyes widened as she opened her window.

"It's okay. I'm okay."

She inspected every inch of my face, "come on. Let's get you fixed up."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to come unannounced. But you're the only person, aside from Mr. Stark, that knows the protocols of this suit. And it's a little too late to ask Pepper or Happy to use Tony's tools."

"What happened exactly?" we walked into her bathroom. Her hands have a healing ability that comes with her waterbending. She healed my wounds and bandaged them up. She always knew that she would be the first person I went to to take care of my wounds.

"I was swinging through the city and the suit started glitching. Then I fell onto the ground, scratched up my face, as you can see, and then hit a garbage can. I tried talking to Karen but she wasn't responding to anything I was saying. Do you think you can help figure out what it is?"

"Of course. Just let me finish healing your wounds first." Every time she took care of me, she was so gentle with every touch. "All patched up."

"Thank you."

"Of course."

"For everything."

Her eyes softened.

She cleared her throat, "so the suit. Let me run some diagnostics and we can go from there."

After about 20 minutes of her software running any and every form of tests, for this suit specifically, we got results.

"So??"

She furrowed her eyebrows, "someone tried to hack into your suit."

"Is that even possible?"

"Tony and I made sure that this suit was able to stop anyone from hacking into it. The only people who have access to its protocols are us and Tony."

"So you're saying that whoever tried to hack the suit–"

"Has some really advanced technology."

"Do you have any suspects on your list?"

She gave me a guilty look and nodded.

"Who?" I asked. She didn't reply, "Dianna."

"Skylar."