A Dip in the Moonlight

The sky was a deep navy blue with specks of white littered throughout it. The moon was bright and beautiful in the sky. The moonlight collided with the clear water, causing it to refract and glitter like a pool of a thousand diamonds. Jaren swam silently in the cool water, the only sound to be heard was the gentle splashing that accompanied his movements. His pale skin seemed to glow in the moonlight. He knew he shouldn’t be doing this, but the crystal-clear water of the lake always enticed him in a way he couldn’t understand. The brunette boy was so distracted by the calming waters that he didn’t see the tall figure heading his way. Not to his discredit considering the other hadn’t noticed the boy swimming either. The tall brunette man sat down on the slightly dilapidated bench. Jaren’s attention was caught by the light creaking and the boy immediately tried to duck down into the water to hide his nudity. His clothes sat folded neatly just beneath the bench the taller was sitting on.

“Shit…” he muttered under his breath, trying not to be spotted. Meanwhile the taller boy rested on the bench taking in a deep inhale from his vape. John breathed out slowly, allowing a large cloud of vapor to fill the air. He looked tired and drained. He stared up at the moon as he took another long drag from his vape. A small splash caught his attention. John looked out into the water and saw a bit of movement. At first, he believed it may have been a fish of some sort, but he soon noticed the distinct shape of a person. John didn’t know how to react. What the hell do you even say in this situation?

“You good?” John spoke before thinking, causing the smaller boy to jolt in fear.

“Oh, uh, yeah.” He remained still beneath the water, trying not to expose himself.

“Do you- I- Dude, I really don’t know what to do in this situation,” John laughed and Jaren joined him.

“Me neither, dude.” Jaren swam a bit closer. “Uh, what are you doing out here so late?”

“Sitting, I guess. I didn’t want to be at my house. You?”

“Swimming,” Jaren stated and John chuckled a bit.

“You know, I probably should have expected that.”

“What’s your name?”

“John. What about you?”

“Jaren,” The smaller smiled softly and the other smiled back. Out of nowhere, Jaren felt a strange burst of confidence. “Join me?” he asked.

John chuckled a bit, “I didn’t bring anything to change into”

“So? Neither did I,” Jaren swam closer, his bare chest now visible to the taller. John’s face dusted a light pink at the thought of joining a stranger in skinny dipping.

“Okay,” John’s body spoke again before even giving him the option to think about it. Jaren pushed back, swimming farther into the glimmering waters. John stood up, pulling his shirt over his head and dropping it loosely on the bench. Jaren looked so elegant in the water, like some sort of ethereal being. John felt entranced by him as he subconsciously stripped himself of his remaining clothing. He slipped into the cool water, shivering slightly at the sudden change in temperature, but otherwise pushed on. John swam closer to the smaller man and smiled at him. “So, do you always invite strangers to swim with you?”

Jaren laughed. “Do you always join strangers swimming in the lake?” The two smiled and continued swimming together in a strangely comfortable silence. Until Jaren decided to break it. “Why didn’t you want to be at your house?” He questioned softly. John took a deep breath and let out a soft sigh.

“I don’t really know. I hadn’t really gotten out in a while and I guess the depression was just kind of… eating away at me.” Jaren’s eyes were kind and sympathetic. “What about you? What brought you out here to swim at 3 in the morning?”

“Well,” he began. “I guess I was just tired of doing the same thing. Everything has just been feeling so repetitive in my life. I wanted to do something spontaneous.”

“How’s it working out?” John asked as he swam closer. Jaren shrugged as the two ended up nearly face to face.

“I don’t know,” The smaller glanced down at John’s lips before looking back into his blue-green eyes. “I kind of want to do something more.” John’s breathing wavered a bit.

“Oh, really? Like what?” John moved closer and Jaren’s cheeks began to flush pink.

“I don’t know…” his eyes darted back to John’s lips once more. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, but why? He had just met this guy, why was he feeling like this?

“I think you do…” John’s voice was barely above a whisper. The two were unconsciously moving closer and closer until they could feel one another’s breath on their lips.

“Fuck it,” Jaren’s hands made their way to the sides of John’s face as their lips collided. John’s hand grasped onto Jaren’s hips, pulling the smaller close to him. The kiss was deep and passionate, but there was no lust behind it. The kiss was filled with softness, a tenderness neither man knew they were missing. Their hearts fluttered and the two pulled away, only for a second though to catch their breaths. Their lips reconnected in soft, tender kisses. Neither one wanting to part for the other.

The moonlight danced across both boys’ pale skin. The water glimmered around them as the two indulged in loving kisses. Neither knew what they were feeling entirely, but they knew enough that they didn’t want to stop. When their lips parted, their faces were flushed pink and their eyes shined.

“Wow,” John sighed breathily.

“Yeah,” Jaren replied. The two began giggling, forehead pressed together. Those giggles morphed into full blown laughs and the two shared light kissed between them. John got a slightly devious idea and splashed water at Jaren who gasped in feigned offence. The smaller boy threw water back at his counterpart and the two began a small water fight, laughing and enjoying one another’s company. Jaren smiled sweetly and swam over to place another soft kiss on John’s lips. “My fingers are getting wrinkly”

“Mine too,” John replied, looking at his hands.

“Let’s head out.” The two swam to the shore and slipped back into their clothing. “Will I ever see you again?”

“Yeah,” John smiled. “I’ll make sure of it.” With that statement, John whipped out his phone and opened it to the contacts. He handed his phone over to the smaller who typed in his phone number before handing it back. “And, um…” John’s face flushed and he began to feel nervous. “W-would you want to, you know, come to my place for a bit?”

Jaren smiled brightly and nodded. “Yeah, lets go.”