Depression Room

The air was heavy as John laid in his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. He let out a deep sigh and turned his head to look at the nightstand where the stacks of cups and bowls resided. His floor was covered with dirty laundry and discarded papers. Dishes and water bottles crowded his dresser and mocked him as he laid still.

His irritation began to grow as he was confronted with the disaster state of his bedroom. John had been launched headfirst into the deep end of a depressive episode and had been stuck in this unmotivated rut for going on four weeks now. He had really been slacking on his everyday tasks and had created a bit of a disconnect between him and his friends. Not that he could really do anything about it. He grumbled under his breath, folding his pillow over his face and rolling over, trying to ignore his problems, but his phone screen lit up with a notification, catching his attention. He grabbed a hold of it and looked to see who it was. The second John read Jaren’s name, he unlocked the device and read the message.

JareBear 🐻: hey
‘hey’
JareBear 🐻: you doing okay? I haven't heard from you in a bit

John debated for a moment. What was he going to tell him? How do you even tell your best friend that you haven't held a proper conversation with him in nearly a month because you’ve been too depressed to move?

‘I’m ok’ He lied.
JareBear 🐻: you sure?
‘yeah, im good’

John locked his phone and set it down beside him. He didn’t even want to think about how his room looked. It made him feel even worse. It made him feel useless. I mean, who is so lazy that they can’t even clean their own room? His mind began to overflow with insults and judgement akin to this directed towards himself. And that definitely didn’t help him. He began to curl into a ball, wanting to disappear into himself and simply cease existing. The buzz of his phone pulled his mind away from that morbid hope.

JareBear 🐻: be there soon

John sat up quickly, completely shocked. What the hell was he supposed to do? His room was a mess and he desperately needed to take a shower. He felt the anxiety begin to set in, causing him to hop out of his bed and hurry over to the bathroom. He stripped down and got into a far-too-cold shower. He washed his long, messy hair, running his fingers through it and scrubbing the shampoo into his scalp. It actually felt really nice, and the fact that the water was heating up made it even better.

After about 15 minutes, John hopped out of the shower and got dressed. He brushed his hair as he walked back into his room, grabbing his phone. The screen lit up and the message read “I’m here.” John walked into the hall, shutting his bedroom door behind him, and hurried over to the door. He opened it to find his brunette friend standing before him, looking fondly up at him.

“Hey,” John said and Jaren smiled.

“Hey,” There was a moment's pause before John moved out of the way, letting Jaren inside.

“What’s up?” John sounded awkward, both of them heard it.

“I don’t know, what’s up with you?” Jaren’s tone shifted very slightly, holding a bit of seriousness to it. John shrugged.

“I don’t know.” There was silence. Jaren watched John’s mannerisms, picking up on the anxiety the taller was feeling.

“Are you okay?” his voice was tender and he stepped closer. John nodded far too quickly, only making Jaren more concerned. “I’m worried about you.” He rested his hand on John’s arm as they stood face to face.
John’s eyes landed anywhere but Jaren’s face. He knew if he looked the smaller in the eyes, he would crumble. He knew everything would spill out and he didn’t want to burden his friend with such problems. However, John’s silence did not deter the smaller brunette. Jaren could feel the heaviness the taller was holding inside of him and pulled him into a loving hug. John wrapped his arms around him tightly, holding him close.

They stayed like that for a few moments before pulling away. John’s cheeks had a few tears trailing down them, which Jaren wiped away. John leaned into his touch, appreciating the affection he had been missing for nearly a month.

“So, do you want to tell me what’s wrong? Or do you want to do something to get your mind off of it?” John shrugged in response. “How about we go to your room and-”

“No,” John spoke quickly, immediately regretting his reaction. “I- I mean-”

“Talk to me,” Jaren comforted and John locked eyes with him. He sighed deeply, casting his gaze back to the floor.

“My rooms a fucking mess because I’ve been stuck in a depressive episode for the past few weeks.” Jaren nodded and held the tallers hands.

“That's okay, we can clean it together,” Jaren suggested and John looked up to see him smiling brightly. This put the older at ease. He nodded lightly before letting out a soft “Okay,” as the two headed over to the room.

///
Sorry this chapter is so short and not exactly super shippy, or very good for that matter lol, I've just been in a bit of a writers block. Hopefully I will have something better for you all on Friday.