Comfort and Comforters

TW: minor homophobia

Smitty laid on his bed, staring at the ceiling. He felt awful. Smitty had just gotten home from a small family gathering for his cousin's engagement party. His parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles were all there as well. He was sitting beside his brother having a conversation when his aunt Janet approached them.

“Hey, Jaren! How are you?” She asked.

“I’m doing okay,” Smitty replied with a smile.

“So, do you have a girlfriend yet?” She questioned and Smitty shook his head. She asked this every time even though he has told her on multiple occasions that he is gay. “That’s a shame. When do you plan on getting one?”

Smitty laughed a bit, an uncomfortable laugh. “Well, considering I like men, never.” She grimaced at him.

“Are you sure? I mean, maybe you just haven’t met the right girl,” She pushed, trying to make him rethink this as if it were his choice to be gay. 

“I’m sure,” he tried to dismiss her comments and rejoin his conversation with his brother, but she continued to pry.

“Well, I just don’t think this is a healthy lifestyle you’ve chosen. If you were with a woman everything would be normal.”

“Normal?” Smitty’s head snapped back to her, but his tone was still calm and respectful.

“Yes, normal. This little phase you’re going through isn’t right. You should just be normal. There are so many beautiful women who would just love to be with you!” She started beaming towards the end as if she had said the most kind and sweet thing in the world.

“Well, I don’t want a woman. I am not attracted to them. I can’t change that.”

“Why not? If you made the choice to like men, why can’t you make the choice to like women?” She was beginning to get on his nerves and his tone shifted a bit, hinting at his annoyance.

“I didn’t choose to like anyone-”

“I don’t understand why you’re getting so upset by this,” She tried to throw this back at him, so he let out a deep sigh and turned back to his brother. “I wasn’t done talking to you, young man. Why don’t you just come down to my work someday? There are plenty of young women who work there! I’m sure they’d be all over you!” Smitty continued to ignore her. She waited impatiently for a response before becoming agitated. “I don’t understand what your problem is! I’m just trying to help you!”

“I don’t need help! I’m fine the way that I am!” Smitty spoke up. The rest of his family just watched the two argue, none of them even considering stepping in to defuse the situation.

“You’re not fine! You’re convinced you’re attracted to men! What man wants to be with another man? It’s not natural!” She had venom laced in her voice. Smitty couldn’t handle it anymore.

“Neither is sleeping with your neighbor when you’re a married woman!”

The room fell silent. All attention was turned to them. Janet looked shocked as she looked around the room. Smitty stood stiff. He felt embarrassed. Not for being who he is, but for erupting like that. And being belittled for existing. He took in a deep breath before looking up to make eye contact with his cousin.

“Wonderful party. Thank you for the invite, but I think I’m going to go now.” He grabbed his coat and headed out of the building, leaving him where he is now. He reached for his phone in the pocket of his coat and opened his contacts. His finger hovered over the name of his best friend for about a minute before he decided to just call. He held the phone up to his ear as the ringing played steadily.