I'll See You Tonight

Jaren sat on the bed of his dorm room with a sour expression on his face as he stared down at the floor, half zoned out. His roommate, Matt looked over to him.

“Are you alright, dude?” He asked his friend, with a hint of concern in his voice. Jaren snaps back into reality, looking up to meet the eye of the other.

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Jaren shrugged. “Thinking too much, I guess.”

“What about?”

“Not much, I guess. Just too much buzzing around or whatever.” His voice sounded disconnected and disinterested.

“Are you sure? It seems to be bugging you?”

“Yeah…” He trailed off.

“Maybe you should do something to distract you. A walk in the woods might do you some good. Clear your head,” Matt smiled. This sentence caught Jaren’s attention.

“Why the woods?” He asked. His face contorting with confusion.

“There’s a path in there! It’s super pretty!” Matt explained.

“It’s 3am!” Jaren laughed and Matt shrugged. “I mean, maybe.” Jaren contemplated.

“If it makes you feel better, you can take my pocket knife,” Matt offers and Jaren nodded.

“Okay, yeah. I’ll take the knife,” Jaren confirmed before hopping up out of bed and slipping on a pair of shoes. “I’ll text you if I think I’m going to get murdered.” Matt laughed.

“Okay, be safe and try not to get murdered.” Jaren grabbed Matt’s knife and slipped it into his pocket before heading out the door. Jaren left the dormitory building and headed towards the path in the woods. The moonlight illuminating the night sky.

Jaren made his way down the dark path with only the moonlight to guide him. He felt calm, maybe this is what he needed. His mind has been racing for hours on end with no sign of stopping. He couldn't even pinpoint what was making him overthink so much, it was just a weird amalgamation of everything going on in his life. The cool air delicately danced across his skin, somehow providing some form of comfort to the small man. All his stressors from earlier in the day seemed to dissipate.

As he walked down the dirt path, he came across a clearing. It was a small field, and the moonlight seems to shine directly upon it, making it seem more ethereal in the nighttime. What Jaren hadn't expected to see what's a tall boy sitting in the field gazing at the stars with longing. Jaren's body acted before his mind, walking up to the taller boy with ease.

“Hello,” Jaren made his presence known before getting too close. The taller man glanced behind him to see Jaren’s small frame illuminated by the moon. He was shocked to see someone else out at this hour.

“Uh, hey,” His voice was hoarse and low.

“Are you okay?” Jaren asked, noticing the man’s tone. Only now did he notice the man's features. The rims of his light eyes we're blushed with a red tint and streams of half dried tears stained his face.

“Oh, yeah,” He wiped his face. “Sorry, just been having a weird night.”

“Weird, how?” Jaren asked as he sat beside him. John was a bit taken aback by this. He had never seen anybody out here so late, aside from him, of course. On nights like tonight, when his thoughts consumed him, he would come out here and gaze at the stars.

“I- I don’t know,” He shrugged it off. “Just thinking too much.” Jaren nodded.

“Me, too, actually.” John turned his head to look at the smaller brunette. “My roommate actually suggested I take a walk to clear my head.” John looked down, then back up to the stars.