Ringing Bloom ♔ hurt/comfort

♔ hurt/comfort ♔
TW: mentions of blood, mentions of throwing up, hanahaki disease

The coughing was violent and his body shook with its intensity. John gasped and wheezed as he tried to catch his breath. He sat draped against the toilet as flower petals and blood force their way up his throat. He threw up another bundle of petals and spit out the remaining blood in his mouth before rinsing it out. He sighed deeply.

John had visited the hospital a few days ago about the flower petals and the doctor told him it was something called Hanahaki Disease. The doctor said Hanahaki disease is the result of an unrequited love. The person who has the feelings will have their throat fill up with flowers and they will throw up and cough up the petals, or even whole flowers. He said the only way for the illness to go away naturally would be for the other to return the feelings the afflicted person has for them. The only other option is for the flowers to be removed surgically, though the romantic feelings will disappear along with the petals.

If neither happens, then his lungs will fill up with flowers and he will eventually suffocate.

John stared at himself in the mirror as he thought over his options. What the hell was he going to do? Jaren didn’t love him, there’s no way he could! John sighed again, dropping his head a bit. He had to try.

John walked out of the bathroom and reached for his phone. He quickly dialed his friend's number and waited for him to pick up.

“Hello?” The anxiety already began to bubble in his chest.

“Hey, dude…” John sounded tired.

“What’s up?”

“Can we meet up? Like, to talk about something?” John asked his friend.

“Yeah, dude, of course. Are you okay?” Jaren responded, noticing his friend's tone.

“Yeah! I’m good, I just- Just… Meet me at the gazebo by the park, okay?”

“Yeah… Okay, I’ll see you there,” Jaren could tell his friend was distressed.

“See you there.” John hung up the phone and slipped on a pair of shoes. He began walking to the park. He felt as if the world were staring at him. He started coughing into his elbow, only for a few petals to come up and a bit of blood to stain his jacket. John spit on the ground to get some of the excess blood out of his mouth and then hurried to the meeting place.

When John arrived, he could see his short, brunette friend standing there, already waiting for him.

“Hey!” The shorter boy smiled at his taller friend. John forced a weak smile onto his face in response.

“Hey,” John walked up and stood beside his friend.

“What’s up? What did you want to talk about?” Jaren looked worried about his friend, he could tell he was rattled about something.

“Oh god,” John whispered under his breath. “So, uh… Jaren-” His voice broke with a cough. “So- sorry” He apologized as the coughing continued.

“Are you okay?” Jaren came closer, trying to assist his friend. John nodded.

“I’m fine, don’t worry about it,” John tried to ease his friend’s worries, but it didn’t necessarily work. 

“What’s going on, John?”

“I’m in love with you,” John spilled without thinking. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh…” Jaren froze for a moment, not knowing how to react. “John, I- I don’t know what to say…”

“Well, how do you feel?” John’s voice was timid.