Break my heart again - Rafe Cameron

Summary

You grew up in the Outerbanks, but you left without saying goodbye and now return back.

It has been half a decade since you were last on the Outerbanks. You moved away five years ago. You remember the day very clearly as it was yesterday.

"Honey, wake up. We have to go," you heard mom say. You opened your eyes, still half asleep.

"What is going on?" you mumbled.

"Be quiet. We're leaving." She pulled the blanket off your body. Your mom gave you clothes to dress into, which you did. You still didn't understand what was going on, but you didn't ask. You got downstairs and saw two suitcases in the kitchen.

"Where are we going?"

"Away from your father. Now hurry up before he wakes up." Your mom pushed you out of the house, while she dragged the two suitcases with her. You got in the car and your mom drove away. It was probably the fact that you were half asleep that you didn't fully understand what was going on. Why were you leaving in the middle of night?

"Can I say goodbye to Rafe?" you mumbled. He was your best friend. Yes, he was a kook, but you kinda had a foot in both worlds.

"No, honey. I'm sorry. We have to leave right now." Normally you would fight her, you would get out of the car and run to his house, but you just nodded and closed your eyes.

Rafe called you and text you a lot in the beginning. He didn't understand at all what was going on. You got a new phone and never heard from Rafe again. You were now on the Outerbanks to visit your dads grave. He had passed a year ago and you were now finally capable of visiting his grave. You stayed there all day, talking to him and enjoying the sun.

Later that night, you went to a party somewhere close to the beach. A blonde haired guy gave you a drink, you gladly took from him.

"Wait, don't I know you?" he asked you.

"Maybe. I lived here five years ago."

"Y/N Y/L/N?" He asked. You nodded your head. How did he know about you.

"It's JJ. We had some classes together." You looked at the boy, but then slowly it got back to you.

"Oh I know! You were always the one getting in trouble with your friend. What is his name again."

"John B."

"Yeah him! You still friends with the guy?"

"Jup." You talked for a while with JJ. Later John B joined and their two other friends, Pope and Kiara.

"So you just left?" John B then asks you.

"Yeah. My mom woke me up in the middle of the night and got me out of here. She wanted a divorce with my dad, which he didn't agreed to, so she just took me away. I couldn't even say goodbye to my friends," you told him.

"Wait, wasn't that Rafe?"

You felt your heart beat faster hearing his name. "Yeah. Is he still on the island?" You hoped you would see him while you were here.

"Yeah, but I don't think you want to be friends with that dick," JJ said.

"Why?" You had always known Rafe as a sweet kid. He cared a lot about you. He sometimes got in trouble with his dad, but he would never harm anyone.

"Speaking off.." Kiara said and nodded her head. You turned your head and saw the boy you knew so well. His friends were standing behind him.

"He's not that good of a guy," you heard Kiara say. You didn't respond to her. You just looked at Rafe. In all those years he didn't change at all, not from the outside at least. He turned his head and your eyes met his. The expression in his face changed. You weren't sure if he was happy too see you.