Useless V

Includes cursing and mentions of emotional numbness, trauma related to death, past drowning experiences.
~~~•~~~

After that day, Claude began to regularly ask for Athanasia. At first, it was every other day or so, but it soon became a daily occurrence. At some point, the bold princess would even come without invitation, surprising everyone. Not that it mattered. The bolder she was, the better.

She wasn't exactly sure when she began to notice, but there was a time when Claude wasn't just amused anymore. No, there was an edge of fondness in his eyes. Sure, it took a year before that gleam appeared, but Athanasia felt such satisfaction when she found that odd light. "Finally, there is a change with that damnable emperor."

Then again, it didn't really matter. She just felt angry because he was such a useless father. So what if he was changing? Deep inside, he was still more numb than her. And numbness is dangerous, "because everything doesn't have meaning anymore."

It wasn't even like she wasn't afraid of what he represented, some sort of grim reaper ready to execute her, but she had become so adept in crushing her emotions. If she could take back what was hers, and maybe finally end this cycle, then she would do everything she possibly could.

Whether she loved Jennet or not. Whether she was dealing with trauma or not. That's what the masks have always been for. To hide who she really was. Because, at some point, even she had forgotten who she really was. All that she could see was her

Death.

"That painful son of a bitch."

However, just like Claude, she was susceptible to change. Even though he represented something so dark and morbid, the more that they interacted, the more that she began to see him differently. Rather than the expressionless emperor that she had dealt with, he had become kind and caring enough to be called a father.

At least, kindly.

This Claude actually had a heart, and maybe that's why Jennet loved him. "Because he actually cared about her."

And there was the issue, because her debutante was coming so quickly, and she had no idea what to do

And there was the issue, because her debutante was coming so quickly, and she had no idea what to do. She adored Jennet, the sister that spoiled her despite the malignant presence of their father. The sister that gave back to her as much as she took, as if everything that she had gotten from Claude wasn't important to her. No, she clung to Athanasia, her

half-sister.

Could she give this up for her sister? Could she relinquish the love of her father? Was it even possible to share such a thing?

Suddenly, the breathless sensation of being underwater reeled her back in, choking the anxious princess and reminding her what would be the consequences to giving in. The now thirteen-year-old clung to her neck, taking deep breaths in the silence that surrounded her. How impossible, how disgraceful.

"Fate should never be challenged."