Anchor III

Includes mentions of previous deaths, blood, and fluff

~~~•~~~

"Princess! Where are you going?!" Athanasia laughed joyfully, running away from Lily and into the fields.

Weeks have already passed and she quickly realized that Claude was vastly different from what she expected. Rather than the numb man who once tried to kill her, the emperor constantly spoiled her with sweets, earning the ire of her nanny. Still, that came with more consequences than just confusion and cavities- the princess was losing precious time to look for Lucas.

Filled with determination and, quite frankly, impatience, the heiress to the Obelian Empire ran away from the grasp of Lily, straight into the forest in the garden between the Emerald and Garnet Palaces. What she did not know, however, was that her father followed her from the garden that they had tea in.

"She is becoming more and more daring, don't you think so?" Felix asked, walking a few steps behind the emperor and right beside the personal maid of the princess. Claude smirked, his arm curled to hold a piece of cloth from his Sioddhonian robe. "Do you think so?"

"If I may, your majesty... it is because you spoil her," Lily interjected, her voice filled with exasperation. Although the accusation irritated the emperor, he neither said nor did anything at all. Rather, he simply followed the path of that blonde child, thinking that she was less like him. "She is as bold as you, Diana."

While Claude was reminiscing over his late lover, Athanasia was stuck in front of the edge of the forest. Raven fur, dark as midnight, with edges of sapphire in its ears and tail- it was a beast with eyes of the purest obsidian.

 Raven fur, dark as midnight, with edges of sapphire in its ears and tail- it was a beast with eyes of the purest obsidian

Athanasia felt her heart stop, a sort of affection building for this random animal in the forest. And when it ran away, her legs were already moving before she could even decide where to go. "Where else?! I have to catch that animal."

After weaving in and out around some trees and bushes, certainly catching some stupid leaves on her sleeves, she finally found something dark beneath some shrubs. Excitement thrummed in her veins, feeling that this hunt was already over, but the voice that greeted her was not that of a dog's, and she never noticed the way that three adults watched from a short distance.

"Urg, my hair! What are you doing? Let go already." Athanasia froze, recognizing that voice immediately. She should have felt excitement, or even just happy to be near him, but she felt fear now that she was before him. What if he couldn't remember her? What if he rejected her existence? What if he found her uninteresting, therefore leaving?

"He can't leave," she argued frantically, letting go of his hair hurriedly. "What would I do without him?"

And really, what would she do without him?

"Your majesty," Felix urgently whispered, grabbing his sword to apprehend that dark-haired man. Beside him, Lily trembled and nearly ran to grab her beloved princess, but Claude held them both back. Cold showers and harsh winds, gleaming rubies filled with the desire to kill, the man witnessed brief flashes of something- but he couldn't understand what it was. All he knew was that "that mage may be dangerous, but not to Athanasia."