Useless IX

Includes mentions of learned helplessness

~~~•~~~

However, none of the scenes that she had become bitterly accustomed to happened. Jennet was never introduced with her eventual husband, that overly perfect Ijekiel. Therefore, she was never proclaimed princess. Neither did the emperor then fall for her bright innocence, and Athanasia was never cast aside.
"But why?"

"Wow, I've never seen a more beautiful garden."

The anxious princess was suddenly pulled from her thoughts

The anxious princess was suddenly pulled from her thoughts. Currently, she was at a tea party in her favorite garden, roses glittering around the girls beside her for her first gathering.

While she had always watched Jennet have her tea parties from the Ruby palace, Athanasia had never gotten the chance to have one herself. Then again, no one would have cared to come anyways. Well, if the emperor would have ever allowed her to have one in the first place.

Although one of her old dreams had come to life, the princess' eyes simply fell upon the smiling figure of her sister, blinking confused as to why she was never introduced.

"This is a garden my father made for me, since I love roses so much. It's one of my favorite places as well." "Yes, it's a pleasant reminder of when I was betrayed by my own hopes in my previous lifetime. How I would love to go back and smack that hope out of my previous self."

Despite the bitter thoughts in her mind, Athanasia maintained a pleasant smile for the girls around her, tearing her bright eyes from Jennet. Idle talk surrounded the young princess, slowly calming her from her anxious state of mind. However, that only made her realize how boring they all were.

Her debutante flashed before her eyes, the figures of high society staring at her and her father in a state that can only be distinguished as greedy and awed. First, they scorned her, and now they adored her. Oh, how quick the state of mind can change. And that's what made them so insignificant to Athanasia.
"They are all so fickle."

As if she, herself, hasn't changed at all.

Later, as the tea party ended and they were saying their farewells, Jennet stepped up and spoke with a smile. "Princess Athanasia... you have no idea how happy I was to be invited today. Will we be able to meet again soon?"

Athanasia's eyes met her sister's, noting the lack of bejeweled gleam

Athanasia's eyes met her sister's, noting the lack of bejeweled gleam. The malice that had once tainted her thoughts were gone, exhausted during her debutante. Instead, she simply felt bittersweet and reminiscent in front of this innocent maiden. A warm smile blossomed gently on her face as she went to hold the delicate hand of the princess that never got to be. "Of course, let's meet again when we have the chance."

Because, surely, fate's gears will start turning again, pulling Jennet to the position that should have been hers like every other lifetime

Because, surely, fate's gears will start turning again, pulling Jennet to the position that should have been hers like every other lifetime. As fun as it had been, and how much she had grown to love her father, Athanasia expected that she couldn't maintain this position for too long. She hoped, at least, that they could share the attention of Claude.