Useless VII

Mentions Athy's goodbye and a mild form of trust issues (concerning fate and her life)

~~~•~~~

Half an hour later, as they were watching the debuting girls twirl about with their partners on the dance floor, Athanasia smiled and subtly leaned against her father. Not a single person noticed even as they stared at her, entranced by her fairy like form. Still, she was happy for this life, and she would still be happy if Jennet came and destroyed it again.

For three lifetimes, she had lived a life of strife. Now, because she had her father's attention, she had been loved and praised by everyone that she met. Sure, it was from her mask and their desire to get in the good graces of the princess, but without the malice of the emperor, she could breathe without a single struggle.

And that's what mattered.

So, even when she caught a glance of sir Rogers, with a man that distinctly looked like her father, thinking that he would introduce Jennet later, Athanasia simply smiled again. What was done was done, and she can just escape again.

Maybe it would be easier now that she has been officially named princess, and she would know to grab the railings as soon as she was on the ship.

And when Claude urged Athanasia to go dance with the other debutantes, she turned to him and spoke the words deep in her heart. "Papa, thank you for being with me today. Thanks to you, I'm going to remember today as a very happy day."

Even after numerous lifetimes of strife, one life of happiness can make every other life worth the tears that she cried. Because, now, she has received the love of the father that she once begged to even just look in her direction. Now, she got the chance to smile wholeheartedly despite how numb her heart had become. Truly, the useless father has changed,

at least in the eyes of his daughter.

"Bye, Papa."

"I hope that we can see each other again in another lifetime

"I hope that we can see each other again in another lifetime. Sapphire to sapphire and ocean to ocean, I hope that we can love each other as father and daughter again."