Useless VIII

Includes mentions of Athy having manipulative tendencies

~~~•~~~

"The ribbon on your waist is coming undone." The soft voice immediately caught Athanasia's attention, even as she danced gracefully with the other debutantes. And, when she turned her head, warmth immediately encased her heart like it always did when faced with her half-sister.

The entire hall seemed to glimmer with her tinkling laugh, because how could she not? Yes, just like with her father, sapphire to sapphire and ocean to ocean, Jennet represented royal blood

The entire hall seemed to glimmer with her tinkling laugh, because how could she not? Yes, just like with her father, sapphire to sapphire and ocean to ocean, Jennet represented royal blood. Even with a disgustingly bland disguise, Athanasia would never, could never forget how much more prominent Jennet's royal blood was.

"Oh, my precious sister," Athanasia thought, slipping out of the circle of debutantes, to the dismay of the girls. "How I've missed you and worried for your health."

She wanted to greet her properly with a kiss to the cheek, just as they've always done, but she wouldn't be so casual when it was supposedly their first meeting. Instead, the princess smiled gently and took off her ribbon. Their fingers met for a fraction of a second, electricity running through the connection as she gave Jennet the piece of satin, only for Athanasia to rip her hand away and turn around. "Just in time, Duke Alpheus."

Sir Rogers faltered from approaching Emperor Claude, watching the sight of his prized asset act so kindly to the girl in the way of his plans. That was exactly what Athanasia wanted, and she bit back a satisfied smile, though she eventually let the smile blossom on her face when she turned to smile at her unassuming companion.

"Yes, thank you for everything. You've given me enough to keep me sane, even when in the face of our cruel father. Now, can you share with me? At least, let me survive a little longer than last time?"

Without meaning to, the thoughts have already slipped through her mind. For a moment, she froze, caught unaware by the malice in her tone. However, she soon found it so amusing.

Indeed, she was slowly becoming as useless as her father once was.