Anchor X

Includes mentions of previous deaths and fluff

~~~•~~~

"It seems your birthday is coming up soon," Claude asked during one of the meals with his daughter. Calm eyes regarded the young maiden before him, watching as she paused, an odd emotion flickering in those jeweled ponds.

 Calm eyes regarded the young maiden before him, watching as she paused, an odd emotion flickering in those jeweled ponds

Said daughter could only remember Jennet and the gears of fate. On Athanasia's fourteenth birthday, her debutante ceremony, Jennet may be introduced again. Though she said that she'd support her sister, give her the company that she needed, would her father change once her sister was in the palace? Would he forget her again, or execute her once she has been framed?

Anything was possible in the hands of fate.

"How much would it hurt this time should he try to kill me?" Athanasia smiled bitterly, discreetly clenching her hands around the utensils.

"You can tell me if you have something that you want like last time," her father continued, and the bitter smile on his daughter's face turned to one of nostalgia. "Or something you want me to do for you."

Athanasia had heard those exact words before, back when she was last adored by Claude. However, though he favored her and even allowed her some liberties, like kissing his cheek, he had still been so cold. Like the bitter snow during the evening, beautiful beyond belief, but so cold to the touch and oh so capable of killing. Even then, he had accepted her request. "That was when Papa escorted me to my debutante."

"Papa," the reminiscent princess began, placing her utensils on her plate and focusing on the emperor

"Papa," the reminiscent princess began, placing her utensils on her plate and focusing on the emperor. At one point, she had wholeheartedly considered him as Jennet's possession, a mere piece in her collection. However, the more that she grew by his side, her mind clear with the presence of her wizard lover, the more that she had to admit how much she cared about him. "He's my father too, no matter how much he may want to kill me."

And really, wasn't that just morbid?

So, Athanasia decided to stay by his side. This time, maybe she won't be bitter enough to talk back to him in front of his birthday guests. If he even forgets, "because Lucas can fix it," she thought.

"My debutante is coming up." Sapphire to sapphire and ocean to ocean, their eyes met. She almost giggled since his eyes held a certain amount of anticipation. On the other hand, Claude couldn't help but notice that her eyes were clearer and more content than ever. "If Papa would not be so displeased, would you care to be my escort?

~~~{•}~~~

"... asked dad to be my escort, which is kind of really nostalgic because he was my first ever escort."

"Your father is going to be your escort?" Lucas paused, mildly irritated for a reason that he couldn't quite figure out

"Your father is going to be your escort?" Lucas paused, mildly irritated for a reason that he couldn't quite figure out. Athanasia, after realizing that her companion had vanished from her side, looked back just quick enough to spot his annoyance. "Is he sulking again?"

"Yeah, I asked him to be my escort. But, I have a request," She quickly added, not liking the disappointment on his face. Well, she was going to ask him about it later, but there was no harm in doing it a little earlier, especially to stop him from sulking. "How high-maintenance."

"A request for me? As long as it's within my abilities, and it'll cost you a kiss." Athanasia bit back a laugh at his adorable huff. She took a step forward, kissing him on the lips comfortably, effectively erasing the frown on his face. "I only have to dance with my father once, and it's more to maintain an appearance than anything else. If it would not be too annoying for you, would you be my partner for the rest of the evening?

Lucas stared at her with wide eyes, and she suppressed the giggle that was bubbling beneath her pleading mask. Really, for such a devilish man, he sure had his adorable moments. And when he sighed, as if he was reluctant, Athanasia really wanted to tease him. "Fine, but the amount of songs that we dance through, you have to pay back with equal amounts of kisses."

"Sure, sure, as if you don't like dancing with me in the first place." Athanasia tried not to roll her eyes, choosing instead to kiss him on the cheek with a warm smile before joyfully walking ahead of him. "Of course, whatever you say dear."

"Whatever

"Whatever." Lucas huffed, his ears red as he wrapped an arm around his companion's waist, leading them to her chamber. For a moment, he felt satisfaction well up in his heart.

"Even though that stupid Claude will be the one to lead her in, I'll still be the one she'll stand by that night." Lucas internally smirked, squeezing her waist gently yet possessively as they strolled through the garden. "In the end, she's still mine."