Not So Happy Ever After

I laid down on the beach as the sound of waves hit the beach.The sun beating down on me warming me, the wind carrying the mist of the ocean on me. I remember before my mother died we would spend a lot of time at this beach waiting for my father to return from war. My father was a great king a honorable man he won many wars but everything changed when one day he didn't come back.

The army was seen off in the distance my mother gathered herself as she gave order to our handmaids.

"Ladies clean up the dinning room, have the cook start making the kings favorite dish and bring the horses around front" she command picking me up carrying me to the front of the castle.

We got up on the horse and road fast towards the beach where my father and his men were. I looked up at my mother as her wild black hair flew in the wind along with her black cape. She rode the horse as if she was riding to save our lives. When we came in view of the ships the men looked gloomed and sadden by what I am not sure. My mother came upon my father ship and quickly jumped off the horse as she ran into my father's ship.

I waited as my father men helped me from the horse, I quickly ran to my father ship as I heard my mother scream. I ran past the men and onto the ship only to see my mother on her knees crying over my father's body he was dead.

After my father's death my mother was forced to remarry because a women was not as respected as a man. My mother ended up marrying lord Draink the man to come to success if anything happen to my father. Lord Draink was a wicked man evil and horrible, soon after the marriage my mother died from unknown cause some say it was a broken heart others believed it was lord Draink. Once my mother was dead I basically fell into his hands and I was his step-daughter after all.

I spent most of my days after my parents died brushing my hair being a lady and being a lady of court. What I didn't know is lord Draink had a plan for me I was going to be a peace offering to the vikings.

After my mother died lord Draink made a deal with some raiders not to raid our kingdom but for us to pay them to protect. From what I am told this viking king agreed to such a deal and each month a charge is due 1 trunks of gold filled to the top. with lord Draink spending money as he willed soon the village became broke no one had money for much of anything cause of taxes. One month before my birthday a new viking showed up and orders twice the money. He paid that but the next month was more then he could give him so he made up a plan and my purpose became evident to him.

April 9th (Neania's 20th birthday)

I woke to the sound of the warning bells that we had visitors. I quickly got up Parisa open the door

"Happy birthday my lady" she yelled and walked to the window pulling back the curtains.

"thank you" I smiled pushing my hair back towards the ponytail.

"Come we must get you ready, today the village will want to admire their beautiful princess on her 20th birthday." she smiled walking to the closet of dress pulling out a long yellow dress with black beading.

I sat down at my vanity as Parisa begin to braid my hair. I watched she twisted the top into a high bun with a huge sunflower at the top and then she braid a huge braid to my waist and knotted it to the top of my hair.

My bedroom door came flying open

"Is our harlet ready for show and tell" Dranik said as he came in and came close to me in the mirror pulling one of my loose strains of hair.

"I am not a harlet lord " I whimpered as he pulled the lock down

"Please lord do not mess up her hair" Parisa said in a soft pleading tone