kun [one]

Back at the shrine for the fifth time that week, you listened with rapt attention to Jungwoo's instructions. You'd been trying to awaken your powers once more with the Tsukumo-gami, controlled scenarios with Wraiths. He would make a charm to attract them, and you would try to fend them off. And with every single one, you'd fail, and Jungwoo would quickly dispel it for you.

"This is useless, Jungwoo," you huffed, sinking down against a tree at the edge of the clearing. "I'm  useless."

"No you're not, Y/N," Johnny frowned as he jogged over to you, offering a water bottle out to you.

Most of your little squad from the café was there to watch these "training sessions" you had with Jungwoo.

All you could do was scoff in retort, letting your disbelief in his statement be known. Unscrewing the cap, you chugged down half the drink, the air unusually humid that particular day. The grass tickled and pricked at the back of your bare knees, and a piece of bark dug into your spine. Not even the tiniest bit of breeze up in the mountain home of the shrine.

"You said they would come when they're needed, Jungwoo. With you here protecting me, they're not needed. Especially not with all these other Ayakashi around as well," you pointed out to the eldest Ayakashi, gesturing to the figures of Johnny, Taeyong, Sicheng, and Yuta who were there, too.

"You are correct, Lady Onmyoji," Jungwoo agreed solemnly. "My apologies for holding onto such foolish hopes."

"Let's call it for today, then. Grab some lunch back at Lenticular," Johnny offered to the group, extending a hand down to you.

You accepted it, letting the Domeki pull you back up to a standing position.

Sicheng evaluated the proposal, "If you keep feeding us all for free like this, Renjun's predictions about your inevitable bankruptcy will come true."

"Sh! Don't you want free food?" Yuta elbowed the Mizuchi dragon in the side, earning a hard stare from him.

"I don't mind, really. Renjun exaggerates our financial woes," Johnny insisted.

You finished up the rest of your water, crinkling the plastic bottle in your hand as you chugged down the last few drops. As you tightened the lid back on, you cracked your back and contemplated the offer. Might as well.

"Sure, yeah, food sounds great."

Jungwoo approached you, hands outstretched to take yours, gentle smile on his features as always, "You did well today, Lady Onmyoji. I look forward to the next time you visit the shrine."

"Yeah, see you, Jungwoo," you mustered up your best half-smile before quickly dropping his hands. He was just being nice; you didn't do anything close to well or good today. You failed, as per usual.

The five of you who didn't live at the shrine departed together, you still stewing in your foul mood and the others doing their best to distract you.

"Y/N, you know what kind of bird that is?"

"Taeyong, that's a pinecone."

"Oh, how did you do on that essay you were talking about, Y/N?"

"Well, Yuta, my professor took half off for turning it in one minute late, so I got an F, but thanks for asking."

You knew you weren't helping yourself or them whatsoever, so instead all of you just kept your mouths shut for the rest of the walk to Lenticular. The café had been closed the week following the Wraith incident for contractors to work on the pipes, flooring, doors, and walls. Now that everything had been fixed up, you figured the rest would be tidied up and any broken furniture replaced. Once you were all inside the café, the conversation got a bit livelier again, but you didn't really participate, simply eating your food and sipping your drink.