kun [twenty-two]

Pushing open the front door of Lenticular, you were greeted by the sight of most of your friends gathered around a table, at which Sicheng and Jeno were seated, locked in an arm-wrestling competition. Sidling up to Yuta, you watched on with an eyebrow raised.

"Hey, Y/N!" The Kitsune greeted you cheerfully, focused on the competition as well.

"How'd this happen?" You questioned.

"Somehow a somewhat-serious argument about if Mizuchi dragons or Tengus were more powerful got started, and thankfully instead of destroying the café, they settled on arm-wrestling instead."

"Oh, of course."

An arm was suddenly draped around your shoulders, and you turned to your other side to see Kun there, still in his clothes from work. He must have come right from there. Usually, he had enough time to change at his apartment beforehand.

You pecked his cheek in greeting before asking, "Late day at work?"

"Yeah, it was," he rolled his neck. "But it's fine, I got everything done that I was supposed to get done, and I'm with you now."

Sicheng and Jeno were still going at it, and you leaned in to whisper into Kun's ear quietly, "Think you could beat them?"

He snorted, turning to murmur in your ear, "Absolutely. But I wouldn't want to embarrass them."

You giggled, gently bumping him with your shoulder as you just basked in the nice moment.

Finally, it came to an end when Yuta reached forward to tickle Sicheng's neck, making the Mizuchi dragon yelp and lose. Immediately, he descended upon the Kitsune with his wrath, and Yuta took off, causing Sicheng to chase after him in circles around the dining room.

"Guys!" You yelled out to get their attention. "Come on! We need to start our patrols!"

Sicheng begrudgingly gave up his pursuit of Yuta and slowed to a stop between Taeyong and Jungwoo on one side of the table. Yuta squeezed himself between Taeyong and Renjun, throwing his arm around the Nekomata's shoulders. Taeyong glared at Yuta, but didn't shake him off as everybody listened to Sicheng. As Sicheng drew his phone from his pocket, you saw Renjun roll his eyes and slide Yuta a handful of cash.

Sicheng cleared his throat before announcing, "Okay, groups for tonight are Johnny and Jeno; Y/N, Kun, and Jungwoo; Sungchan, Renjun, and Taeyong; and me and... Yuta."

At the Mizuchi dragon's piercing glare at him, Yuta gulped, leaning over to hastily whisper something to Taeyong, but whatever it was, the Nekomata denied with a firm shake of his head and a rather loud declaration that Yuta did this to himself and it was his problem.

Chuckling at poor Yuta's fate for tonight, you left the café with Kun and Jungwoo, happily chatting with your friend and boyfriend. There weren't many Wraiths out tonight, something you noted but didn't find too alarming. The amount usually fluctuated; it was nothing to freak out about yet.

"Did you tell them about what Mark did today, Y/N?" Kun asked, derailing your previous amusing conversation consisting of guessing what Sicheng would be doing to Yuta for the entire hour or so of their patrol.

"No, I only got there right before you did, Kun," you shook your head, not thinking it to be too important.

Jungwoo looked to you with a tilted head, "Mark did something, Lady Onmyoji?"

"He confronted me about how I've been avoiding him for the past month. Ever since he attacked Kun."

"He hurt you."

"He tripped me, Kun," you retorted. "I didn't even scrape my knee or anything."

"Why would he do that?" The Tsukumo-gami questioned.