kun [twenty]

Flinging the doors back open, everybody was pretty much where you had left them, murmuring quietly amongst themselves. Except Kun. You didn't see Kun there at all. They all stopped and snapped their heads over to look at you as soon as you'd fully entered.

"Where's Kun?" You asked, eyes scanning the room again, just in case.

They all exchanged uneasy glances before Johnny spoke up hesitantly, "He said he still had some work to finish up at his office, and that he'll call you later."

You rolled your eyes, pivoting on your heel to leave once more when several of them called your name out. Whipping back around to your friends, you retorted, "What? You guys think he actually did it?"

Once again, they looked at each other anxiously, Taeyong speaking up this time, "Well, we don't really know. And you going to see him by yourself..."

"At his work, which is ran by other Oni," Yuta added. "Doesn't sound like a good idea."

"Oh my god, you guys, he's not going to do anything to me," you shook your head. "Look, I've already passed hasty judgement on him once before without getting his side of the situation, and I was wrong. And I promised him I wouldn't do that again. I'm not going back on that promise."

"Be safe, Lady Onmyoji," Jungwoo wished you well.

You nodded to him, "I'll see you guys later."

"Bye, little lady," Johnny called out. "If it's worth anything to you, I hope it's not true."

"Thanks, Johnny. Bye, guys."

And with that, you steeled your nerves, squared your shoulders, and pulled out your subway card. Time to get to the bottom of this.

At the front of Oni Group Holdings, you confidently pushed the doors open. The business day had ended a few hours ago, but the building was still open for the few who stayed late. The security guard at the front desk—a human, you noted—seemed about to stop you as you beelined for the elevators, but a single look at your face stopped him in his tracks. He'd seen you there before, with Kun, and probably thought it best not to disturb the Vice President's romantic interest. You hadn't quite been introduced as his girlfriend back then, but your relationship was clear enough that you had no problem getting on the elevator.

You exited onto the second to the top floor, the top being reserved for the office of the President of Oni Group Holdings, Kun's father. He was rarely actually in the office building and hadn't been there when you'd visited. According to Kun, he conducted most of his work out of the country or from home nowadays.

Other than Kun, you sensed just a couple Ayakashi in the building, only one on your desired floor. The only employees that Kun shared the floor with were his assistant and the small team that he worked the closest with, who had their own much smaller offices in the remaining space. The light was on in one office opposite from Kun's. When the elevator dinged and shut behind you, it caught the attention of Wong Kunhang, who looked up from his laptop and through his glass door at you curiously.

Pushing his office door open, he poked his head out to wave you over. Annoyed at this little detour, you walked over to him nonetheless.

"Uh, Mr. Qian is in his office," Kunhang—another Tengu—informed you, eyes flitting nervously over to the office that you knew held your boyfriend.

"Yeah, I know," you deadpanned.

"He also, uh, didn't seem like he was in a good mood when he went in either."

"Are you scared or something, Kunhang?"

"Just a bit."

"I know he's in a bad mood. That's why I'm here."