kun [twelve]

Between classes, your new schedule of patrolling that took some getting used to, and more advanced training sessions with Jungwoo, you'd only been able to go on a couple dates in two weeks with Kun, a steep decline from your previous pace. Although this one was probably a little more typical. You wouldn't really know, third dates and beyond were pretty much uncharted territory for you.

For tonight's patrol, you were paired up with Sicheng, something that you couldn't really complain about. You'd patrolled with him before, and always enjoyed the one-on-one with your friend. Seeing the others off at the front door of Lenticular, the two of you split from the group and took off on your predetermined route.

"Do you think it was a good idea pairing up Taeyong, Yuta, and Jeno?" You questioned your friend.

"The pairings are semi-random. The only factor taken into consideration is you," Sicheng admitted, explaining his process. "I typically pair you up with two of us, unless it's me or Jeno, then I feel safe with just one of us with you. Jeno and I are objectively the most powerful."

"Well, maybe another consideration should also be 'how likely are they to rip each-other's throats out,'" you suggested, thinking of how Taeyong didn't like Yuta for their previous spat over scenting you, neither Yuta nor Jeno liked each other for reasons unknown to you, in addition to Taeyong still not forgiving Jeno for his snarky treatment of him the night he revealed his true form to you as an Ayakashi. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

"I'm sure the three of them will be fine. For the most part."

"For the most part," you echoed his qualifier with some amusement in your voice.

"So, what do you sense, Y/N?"

"You don't need to keep testing me on this, Sicheng, I'm way past that at this point."

"If it's so easy, tell me."

"Fine," you took a deep breath before beginning to recite the information you could feel.

You could only sense supernatural creatures: other Onmyoji, Ayakashi, and Wraiths, not humans. Which was fine, you never really needed to be able to sense humans. To compare sensing supernatural creatures to wavelengths, Ayakashi were generally a higher wavelength than Onmyoji and Wraiths, and within that, each kind of Ayakashi had a unique feeling as well. However, from what you could tell by your own observations with your friends, most Ayakashi couldn't tell sense any differences between the kinds of Ayakashi. Only the older and more powerful ones, Jungwoo, Sungchan, and Kun could. Theoretically. You'd only ever seen Kun put it into practice, and Jungwoo had brought it up when helping you sense the different wavelengths of Ayakashi. Sungchan was just old in general, so you figured he could probably do it too.

"Ignoring you literally right here, I can sense the worrisome threesome two blocks west and one block south of us; Johnny and Sungchan are seven blocks east and two blocks north of us; Jungwoo and Renjun are three blocks south and four blocks east of us;"

Wraiths were a lower wavelength than Ayakashi and Onmyoji, and just generally felt evil. The strength of the Wraith corresponded to the amplitude of the wave. Less powerful Wraiths, ones typically possessing humans, had a smaller wave. More powerful Wraiths, ones free of human hosts or creating their own human visage, had larger waves.

"There's seven Wraiths within a thousand-foot radius of us, including two in the alley just up ahead of us and three that we passed a couple blocks back. Happy?"

"You're scary accurate with that stuff, Y/N."

"Do you not have a supernatural radar constantly going in your head too, Sicheng?"