4

While the siblings all clambered into the kitchen, dumbstruck, Klaus failed to notice that his little friend had left his side. He was so transfixed on his much younger brother making himself a sandwich in their kitchen as though his sudden appearance was nothing out of the ordinary.

Anneli had hidden herself upstairs and watched out the window, keeping herself behind the curtain in case she was spotted. All the while she was trying to come up with a way to approach the situation without causing trouble.

She had gotten as far as the room just beyond the kitchen, tucking herself behind the doorway so that she could listen to everything said and know when people were going where. Her whole body was tense.

Her recent visions had been right. Her dreams of the one Hargreeves she had never properly met now came to fruition, at the forefront of her mind as she picked them apart, trying to remember their details and what relevance they could have to the present.

The way he was speaking, she knew he was from the future. Or rather, from another time entirely.

This was confirmed when said person stated casually, "the future. It's shit, by the way."

Her chest ached as she remembered all of her nightmares of fire and destruction and death. She rested her head back against the wall, staring at the opposite one as she listened in. Thoughts raced around her head at such a fast pace it was hard to keep up with that and the conversation also happening.

Her headache was still there, but not as intense.

"In the end I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time," Five explained in a single breath.

Diego voiced his confusion. "That makes no sense."

"Well, it would if you were smarter," he stated. A screech of a chair was heard as though someone had stood up quickly in anger, but the tense silence overtook the room as no further move was made.

"How long were you there?"

"Forty three years, give or take," Five said.

Anneli mentally did the math, chewing on one of her fingernails in thought.

"So what are you saying?" Luther asked incredulously. "You're fifty eight?"

"No. My consciousness if fifty eight. Apparently my body is now sixteen again." He sounded slightly bitter, and she felt what he was feeling in that moment.