5

Anneli had almost forgotten the scene they had caused downstairs until she looked up at the ceiling to find a kitchen knife still buried into it.

The siblings hadn't quite come to terms with what had happened, still confused and beyond shocked. She opted to leave the knife there and forget it's existence.

Klaus immediately went to her while cheering about her being alive. "You know," he draped his arm around her shoudler as they prepared to go outside for the memorial service. "I was wondering how long it would take for one of you to kill the other."

Anneli shook her head. "I'm flattered as always, Klaus, but I didn't kill him."

He hummed, not really listening, and she was too aware of the other siblings eyes on her as she made her way outside with Klaus. They were all wondering what had happened when their brother teleported her away after them trying to kill eachother. She was too tired to bother with the others, sending them a blank smile of reassurance.

Everything was fine now.

Well, as fine as it could be seeing as the world was soon to end.

Finally all of the others showed up and huddled around where Luther and Pogo stood, even Five, who didn't mask the fact that he was keeping an eye on her from a distance.

Quietly, she let Klaus know she was going to stand back for this because it wasn't her place to be there. It was a family matter.

She strolled away before he could object, her hand gripping the clear, red edged umbrella as the rain fell harder, lashing agaist the material above her head.

Slowly, Anneli wandered through the grass to the right hand side of the garden, peering over to see the garden next door. She found a place on a small wall around a flower bed to stand on without slipping, and her eyes trailed over the terribly familiar garden as the memorial went on behind her.

The full grass was a muted green that looked just as depressing and unwelcoming as it always did when she was a child. Unlike the immaculate and beautifully kept garden she was standing in now, her garden reminded her of why she hated her childhood home. There was no love or care shown to it.

Her eyes roamed over the overgrown weeds, to the little pond at the end of the garden that she used to sit by all day, watching the sunset orange and yellow fish swim around aimlessly, going about their lives with no consciousness of the world outside of their water.

Her eyes trailed their way up the pathway to the backdoor of the looming, skinny and grey house. An unsettling feeling set in her stomach and her lips turned downwards softly. Even from the distance she could see the sight of scratches and cracks around the lock and handle - ones that she had caused when her mother would lock her outside in the middle of winter for some kind of cruel punishment.

A chill ran down her spine.

The windows were tall and dark, no signs of life as all the curtains were drawn shut to block out any light from the outside and any prying eyes. Even with the rain falling against the panes, she could see the windows were spotless. A bitter thought enters her mind about how she was sure the inside of the house was spotless as well. Clean. Pure. Just like mother wanted everything to be.

Anneli stared back at the dingy pond, assuming the fish she had once named and cared for were long gone, when her vision blurred to a bright white.

A familiar, shrieking voice rang in her memories.

'if you go near that pond again I'll drown you in it-'

She closed her eyes tightly and rubbed away the stinging in them, forcing herself to look away. Her fist tightened around the umbrella handle.