14

Anneli removed herself from Five's room before she threw something sharper at him without even having to use her hands and checked in on Klaus briefly. She heard him arguing with Ben and smiled to herself before leaving him to his own devices, glad at least that he had the energy for something, even if it was yelling at Ben.

She sat herself downstairs after rummaging the cupboards for some kind of food and coming back with nothing. Grace had found her and handed her a pack of cookies, from where she had no idea but Anneli had been overjoyed.

She retreated to the couch to drown her sorrows in chocolate chip, thoughts lingering on how sweet Grace was with heartache.

When Five and Luther had left without a word, determination in their step and a fake breifcase in hand, Anneli tried to ignore the sting it caused her as she wasn't spared a glance.

Throwing the packet onto the coffee table, she brushed her clothes of crumbs and followed them outside. She opted to take a bus to the rough location, her mind stepping up to the plate and guiding her. Sitting at the back, eyes glossy as they looked at the blurring houses and trees as they got outside of city limits, she closed her eyes and rested her head back.

This was well and truly a mess.

Five was no longer willing to have her help, but despite his desire to do things alone she knew that her leaving would cause a devastating reaction somehow.

It was like the butterfly effect; a small action or decision can cause horrific outcomes in the future, despite how insignificant they may seem at first.

By the time they got to the rural areas only a few people were left on the journey, an old couple together and a mother with a pram and a baby long lulled to sleep by the movement of the bus.

So when the sound of rushing air and a clink of metal made her head turn, no one else really gave it any notice.

Her heart hammered in her chest as she eyed the metal air conditioner unit beside the opposite seat, and everything in her body told her to ignore it and leave now.

Don't ignore it. You know it'll end up worse if you do.

Swallowing down her dread, she scanned the streets they were passing through and analysed every single person on the bus even if they looked harmless. After a minute of waiting, she reached over and unlatched a section of the metal, pulling out a silver tube. The emblem on it made her feel sick.

Her fingers pulled out the paper with dread filling her stomach and read it. Reread it. Blinked, sat up straight and did so again to make sure she was reading correctly.

Next stop, her mind whispered to her. She tapped the button on the side of the isle shakily to let the driver know she needed to get off soon.

Target: Five Hargreeves

Mission: Eliminate target.

Note - Once the job is complete, all offences on Miss Holten's record will be cleared. No further contact with The Commission shall be required thereafter.

The bus stopped and she numbly made her way off of the bus, thanking the driver faintly before hopping down and staring blankly at the paper in her hands.

'Will be cleared,' rang through her head.

This was a trick. No one in the history of the commission had ever had their offences cleared without issue, especially ones as serious as hers.

She'd absconded during a mission and killed at least a dozen agents, breaking her contract. No one who even dared to do that would be allowed to live. Not to mention she'd been sort of on the run from them for a decade.