16

Anneli was currently breaking a great number of driving laws as she sped through the streets on her way towards the city again.

For one, the car wasn't hers.

It hadn't been difficult to steal. She could twist the locking mechanism without the need of a key or having to be near the car, but it was also just her luck the owner had just parked it round the back of a bar. She had walked by, called his keys to her hand and he'd entered the establishment none the wiser to his now empty back pocket.

Her knuckles were white she gripped the wheel so hard, constantly looking up in the rear view mirror to check for suspicious looking cars.

Her paranoia had set in because she did not plan on dying today, or any other day. She knew how the commission worked. She'd survived years under the commissions radar, she could still manage it, she was sure. The nerves weren't helping, however.

Thinking rapidly, she noted the familiar streets and pulled the car to a sudden stop down the side of the alley before darting out and sprinting towards the fire escape. Checking both ways down the alley before she pulled herself inside, Anneli ignored the fact that she had just climbed into Five Hargreeves bedroom window and made a beeline for the desk.

She fumbled for paper and a pen, scrawling rapidly a note for Klaus or anyone who would wonder where she had gone. If anyone even noticed.

I'm in trouble, have to go

I can't risk your lives for mine

Sorry I didnt say goodbye.

Signing her name at the bottom she looked around, spotting that the door was ajar. Her fingers wrapped around a thumb tack before she pinned the note to the front of his door so that whoever walked by would spot it.

She was sweating from the pure stress of the situation, yanking off her top so she was just in her tank top and black cargos. She looked around, ran to the wardrobe and yanked the door open.

"Faen!"

She cursed at Five Hargreeves in her head before grabbing a white shirt and quickly changing her clothes, keeping the gun tucked under the fabric at her waist.

She scanned the items on his desk, finding nothing that could help her. She grimaced, grabbed what looked like a letter opener and pocketed it before leaving the way she came, jumping the last few rungs of the ladder.

When she got to the end of the alley she peeked around the wall carefully when her heart rate suddenly spiked.

Someone was standing by her (stolen) car and she could only see the back of him. Fairly tall, long black coat and platinum almost white hair that went to his chin. He had broad shoulders.

She immediately turned in the other direction, going deeper into the alley and climbing up the wall. She couldn't go the other way.

She knew exactly who they'd sent after her. She recognised him.

And where there was one, there would be two more.

She jumped down, stepping over trash and thanking whatever god there was that she had decided to bring the gun with her and not left it in the car.

Coming out beside a deli on another street she scanned them before tapping her foot quickly, thinking. She either had to find another car, or she had to find a place to hide out before the trip got any closer.

Grey clouds drew in overhead, signalling rain. She urged herself to think quickly.

Her eyes spotted a man with a folded up umbrella leaning against the wall of a building, it against the wall while he talked animatedly on the phone. People around were starting to pull out their own umbrellas, noticing the drizzle beginning to fall overhead.

Anneli took her chance and stepped out into the street, head down. She followed a crowd of people hidden amongst their umbrellas and long coats before she made it to the other side.

A few steps away was the man and she silently walked past, tapping her finger against her leg.

He swore when the phone clattered to the floor and as he went to grab it, she took advantage of his turned back and swiped the umbrella, turning the corner and taking it as her own.

A motel. It was the only place she could think of. She had to get to a motel and somehow steal a key to a room or risk breaking in and getting seen on CCTV.

Rain fell harshly as she swiftly opened up the umbrella and held it over her head, praying that it was enough to hide her appearance for now.

It was a seven minute walk to the nearest motel. It made too much sense that she'd go to one that was far away from the academy, and she knew they would think to check that. So she opted for the close one, hoping they'd think she was smart enough to not choose it. Reverse psychology.

She scanned the street ahead, noting a department store on the corner.

Crossing the road, she closed the umbrella and in one swift movement opened the door and entered.

Hightailing it straight to the mens clothes, she ran her fingers over a black bomber jacket way too big for herself and swung it off the hanger, sliding it over her shoulders and zipping it up swiftly. She was small enough to be unseen through the racks of clothing and she'd be out of the store way before security found her stealing on camera.

She kept away from the families shopping, the few men she passed giving her strange stares as she quickly walked through the mens section. She spotted a baseball cap and tucked it under her shirt, head down, eyes moving rapidly. There was another exit on the right side of the store because it was on the corner, so she headed towards that and knew she could make a quick departure.

Store security stood there and she paused, swearing. Head craning over the racks, she caught sight of a group of teenagers laughing with eachother over the other wearing a pair of glittering star sunglasses.

Perfect.

She clenched her fist and watched the clothing rack nearby fall, crashing into another like domino. The teens stepped back in shock and security turned their way, along with most people in the store.

The two guards left their watch to see what was going on and she wasted no time in running outside, putting the umbrella up and speed walking towards the nearest motel on this side of the city