11

Anneli hadn't slept well in the van at all.

Her and Five had crawled back to the front seats and reclined as well as they could against the windows, sort of turning with their backs to eachother. He had said he'd keep an eye out and refused to sleep initially, but Anneli wasn't having any of that. Despite being exhausted her mind wouldn't allow her to sleep.

Visions of flames and smoke kept appearing before her eyes, tormenting her. She would blink and shake her head, rub her eyes, and even restorted to digging her knuckles into her temples until the pain distracted her just enough for her to breathe.

Something was wrong and she knew it because this fiery destruction wasn't to do with the end of the world.

When she breathed she could actually smell the smoke both in the van or in her visions. It was starting to make her sick to her stomach.

Slowly she sat waiting for the sun to rise over the top of the buildings, nervously bouncing her leg up and down and chewing her nails down to the skin, scratching at the itchy skin left over from when she'd had a bit of an episode down earlier. She still didn't know what the number meant, what relevance it had.

Anneli felt as though she was slowly losing her mind and put her head in her hands, sighing heavily.

"You okay?" A soft voice wasn't one she expected to hear, but then again she never did when concerning Five. She nodded into her hands.

He scoffed. "You're a shit liar."

She turned her head to look at him and in one glance he could see how all of what they were doing was effecting her. The closer the end of the world got the more of a serious toll it was taking from her. The bags under her eyes were blue and her eyes were bloodshot, skin pale and whether she had realised it or not, her hands were shaking.

Anneli closed her eyes and rested her head back, not having the energy to give a sly comment back.

"Somethings wrong. The closer we get to the deadline the more my powers are spiking, and I feel.... so fucking useless." She murmured, not even sure why she was admitting it to someone who probably didn't care, someone who had been through enough shit in his life that her concerns were nothing a grain of sand.

"You're not useless." He stated firmly, eyebrows knitting together slightly.

She scoffed.

She was surprised when he spoke again.

"I'm serious."

She searched his eyes but he was deadly serious and sincere. She opened her mouth to say something but no words come out. She wanted to tell him thank you, because they had known eachother properly for less than a week and even if he was rough on the outside, he had no reason to pretend with her. He had no reason to believe in her, or trust in her that much. Anneli felt a coward for not being able to convey it in words, feeling they would come off slightly foolish once said aloud.