6

The drive to the diner was completely silent, and she knew he was secretly sneaking looks at her while she stared calmly out the window.

She considered faintly to herself as they pulled into the driveway that this was probably one of his tests. Perhaps to see if she would attempt to murder him while they were away from his siblings, to see if she could truly be trusted. But then she considered that the commission had awful coffee, and perhaps he was just desperate for some that was actually worthwhile.

Anneli remembered coming to the diner a few times in her life, and it had been with the others. It had taken a few weeks to convince her to sneak out for an hour or two while they had free time on a sunday, and she had spent all of her time talking quietly to Vanya who seemed to be left to sit on the edge of the booth, sort of separated from the others. It was one of the rare fond memories she had as a child. Despite only having positive memories at Griddys Donuts, something in her stomach twisted as she took a seat on one of the empty stools around the counter.

Anneli tucked her skirt under her legs as she took the stool next to Five, eyes boring into the floor as her stomach toiled at the feeling of being trapped.

The place was eerily empty for an evening and it didn't help her rising anxiety. She smoothed her skirt down across her thighs a few times and glanced around at the familiar decor absentmindedly, chewing the inside of her cheek.

Flashing images ran through her mind like a reel, then, picking up on her nostalgia and twisting it - and she zoned out as her mind forced her to relive them.

She waved shyly down at the Hargreeve's siblings stood in the alleyway between their houses down from her bedroom window, fingers brushing the curtain to pull it closed. Before she got the chance to, a piercing voice struck her with fear and she span, hand yanking the curtain shut behind her as she froze.

"The Lord told me you were up to no good." The tall, stern woman advanced on her and her grip on the curtain tightened.

Anneli shrank back but could do nothing as her mothers thin fingers latched around her forearm and pulled her away from the window. She tripped over her own feet and she was thrown to the floor, her shoulder knocking against the wall as she ducked her head down, hiding her grimace.

"I'm sorry, I didn't..." Anneli didn't know what to say, so used to pleading for her innocence - how could she now, knowing she had been caught sneaking out past midnight?

Her voice was incredibly quiet, almost a whisper, a stark contrast to the bubbly laughter she had been caught in just minutes before as she walked the streets hand in hand with her friend Klaus.

"Who were you with?" She demanded from above her.

Anneli stared up at her wide eyed, unable to get any words out.

Lying would get her into trouble, more than she already was - but revealing the truth, that she was with the kids from next door - she was sure her mother would kill her.

"You've been seeing boys, haven't you?"

"No, mum, I swear-"

She covered her face, flinching as her mother held her bible at her side as though to smack her with it.

She seethed. "You best be swearing before God, Anneli, because I will not stand for your lies!"