Chapter 15

Khushi was really unsure about going to New York. She felt she was not ready to see Rishab. But she had no choice, it was a matter of her career. She had convinced herself that the chances of Rishab being present in New York is one is hundred and even if he is present there, the chances of coming face to face in such a big city is very slim. However all the way from the airport to her apartment, she had scanned every face for that familiar one. She had seen him in every face only to realise that she is just imagining.

Khushi after a day or two had found a notification on social media by Bunty. He had posted: 'Met my old friend Rishab after a long period of time..Had a good time.' Khushi couldn't believe it as it was deleted in a matters of minutes. Khushi had called Bunty immediately to confirm the news. She had asked about the post and he had replied,"Yeah I had met him at a club in Mumbai. I had posted the status but I don't know how it got deleted. Don't you know he is in Mumbai?" Khushi had avoided answering it and had hanged up the phone. It was a mixed feelings for her. Somewhere she was relieved that she won't have to see him here and more importantly that he has returned home. But there was a dissapointment too which she didn't accept.

The following week had been hectic for Khushi. But she was able to get her mind off from Rishab. She had gone to meet the clients, work at office, and had been to dinner with Rajvir and others from the team. She had made plans to go out with her friend Jenny on a Friday night.

On Friday night, Jenny takes her to one of the famous bar and grill at Times Square. Standing in line there, Jenny keeps telling her how awesome the food here is and how outstanding is the live music. A waitress takes them to a table at the corner at the back. Jenny gets upset," Hey, I was amped to show you this place but we are at the back, we ain't going to see clearly who is singing." Khushi smiles and says it's okay. But Jenny continues," No babe, it ain't right. Lemme see." She calls the waitress for finding better seats but she informs it's not possible. Disappointed they order their food and drinks.

A band is playing a rock song. Then somebody gets up and few girls on the front starts cheering. Khushi asks,"Looks like somebody popular is going to sing." Jenny replies," No babe, this place is for new talents. But you'll find some best music here. The girls must be cheering for their friend." They try to see, but all they can see is a tall, guy in a black jacket with hood and a guitar. He starts with a poem probably his,
"Lost someone on the way,
The emptiness is hurting.
I keep waiting for her to come back,
I know it's my way of breathing."

He then sings,' Where we land' by Ed Sheeran. The voice is so mesmerising and familiar that Khushi stands up to see the person singing. Jenny too stands up to try to see the singer. Khushi's heartbeat starts increasing, she doesn't understand why the voice is affecting her so much. The words of the song :'It's been this way since we were young. We'll fight and then make up. I'll breathe your air into my lungs, when I feel your touch..',
is somewhere telling her about the friendship, the love she had with Rishi but it was in another lifetime.

Jenny asks," Hey babe are you ok? You seem all beat up. You wanna go back? " Khushi biting her lips says," No, I am fine.. I want to see the singer. What is his name?" Jenny asks for the check so that they can leave the table to see the singer. Both of them slowly try to move through the crowd.

The guy starts a second song,'Someone you loved' by Lewis Capaldi. The words, 'I need somebody to heal, somebody to know, somebody to have, somebody to hold..It's easy to say but never the same, I guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain..Now the day bleeds into might fall, And you are not here to take me through it all..', makes Khushi feel a terrible pain in her chest. There is so much pain in the voice that is making her cry too. Jenny says," Is he Rick, the one I had told you about. He is awesome.." Khushi is still unable to see his face but as she is about to reach the front, her bag gets stuck. In the process to remove it, the song finishes. When the girls reach near the podium, the singer has left.

Jenny takes Khushi to another empty bar nearby and makes her sit on a stool. She says," You don't look good." Khushi with tears in her eyes says," Jenny you might find this crazy but I need to meet him." Jenny looking confused asks," Who?" Khushi wipes her eyes and says," The guy who was singing the songs earlier. I don't know how to explain it to you but I felt a connection with him. I guess he is the same guy in my video that I had sent you. I..I..really can't explain anything because I don't know myself but I need to see him." Jenny looking surprised says," I had told you earlier the guy might be Rick. But I am not sure myself. Babe it's very difficult to find anybody in this city. There are thousands of bars,clubs, music halls here with hundreds and thousands singers singing every day. It's so difficult to find just one. And I asked about Rick in the previous club, there is absolutely no information about him." Khushi's face turns pale. Jenny asks the bartender for water. She says,"Listen you drink water. I will be back from the restroom and then we will leave. You take some breath, we will find him. No worries. "

Khushi drinks water and then she hears,"Tyarna nahi atatha humko,
Kasti ko toofano ke hawale kar gaye.
Kahte the jo hamare hain kabhi,
Hume marta hua raha mein chod gaye."

A chill passes through her spine and she turns to her left to find a guy in hood with a girl at the corner. She leaves the stool and goes towards him as if some invisible power is pulling her there. The guy is drinking and the girl is drooling over him. She puts her hand on his back and he turns.

Time freezes for a few seconds and waves of different emotions passes in that moment. His face has changed in so many ways. The innocence of that 20 year old boy has been wiped off and it has been replaced by roughness of time. She says," Rishi?"

Ricky had seen two girls coming towards her. His eyes had spotted a girl looking like Pari. His heartbeat had grew faster in the middle of his singing. He had finished his song and left the place as he didn't want to take any chances. He wanted a drink desperately. He left the place to go to an empty bar where he could calm himself and drown himself in alcohol. He had found a muse today, a red headed girl who stuck to him from the club. The spirit was burning his throat but he was feeling better as it was starting to numb his pain just like the song. And just then he felt a hand on his back and there she was.

It's Pari, in flesh and blood, not a screen to keep her apart from him. She has changed, grown matured and more beautiful. He wants to take her into his arms again, kiss those lips and hold her tightly never letting her go again. In the few seconds he relives the two years they were together. And then he hears the voice, her sweet voice calling the name " Rishi" He died at that instant to be reborn again as Rick. He remembers the same voice telling her," Mera pyar itna mahaan nahi hai.." The girl beside him says," Who's Rishi? Do you know her?" He smiles and says," No, I think she has mistaken me for somebody else. I am not any Rishi. You know that babe.." He looks at Khushi, tilting his head, smiles and says,
"Dhondne chale the khuda ka ghar, Andheron ko saathi banaliya.
Unhone majbur itna kiya humko,
Apna thikana hi bhul gaye.."
He empties his glass at once, pays and says,"It's getting crowded here, let's get out of here. I can't wait to be with you alone.." Looking at Khushi he kisses the girl on her cheek and leaves keeping Khushi staggered.

He wants to be far away from the place where Pari is standing now. He can't allow her to see him so vulnerable. He has to let her see what she believed. He leaves immediately with the girl to her apartment. The girl takes him into her bedroom and starts removing his jacket and unbuttoning his shirt. She then starts kissing Rick on her chest and neck. It's just his body that is present in that room but his mind is still stuck on Pari's face. The girl kisses his lips and Rick stops her says," I don't do kissing..stop." The girl smiles and says,"Rick, really, you want to play game hun??" She still tries to kiss him and he pushes her so hard that she falls on the ground. Rick realises what he has done, rushes towards her to ensure she is okay. He looks at his reflection in the mirror and backs away.

He wears his jacket and leaves the place immediately. He keeps walking till he reaches his apartment. He goes into the washroom and vomits. He gets into the shower and sits on the floor. He starts crying as the water washes away his tears. He says," Why Pari? Look what have you made me into. You are happy now to see the person you thought as me..My weakness is not what you think it is..My weakness is you..Just you..I love you Pari..I love you so much..please come back to me..I can't live this lie anymore..PLEASE.."

Hi friends,
All the poems and shayari are my own..hope you like them..do try to listen to the songs that Rick sings if possible..and don't forget to vote..💕💕