♫ Prologue: Meeting ♫

<< What would my life be like if I had never met you? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Norman, catch!"

Emma, a bright ginger girl, lobbed a ball at one of her two best friends. Norman, a boy with kindly blue eyes, reacted too late and was hit dead-center in the face. He toppled backward, falling into a pile of warm-colored leaves. He groaned, holding the new bump in his forehead.

"I'm so sorry!" Emma panicked, rushing up to him. "Are you okay?"

Norman nodded groggily, sitting up, red and orange leaves sticking out of his snow-white hair. He looked behind him at the sound of a snicker. Ray looked back with an amused expression, his forest-green eyes finally off his book. Emma stopped her fretting, pouting up at the black-haired boy.

"Ray!" she whined. "There's nothing funny about this!"

Ray only chuckled, returning to his book. Emma exhaled, exasperated. She looked up to a soft giggle. Isabella, a motherly woman with purple eyes and ebony hair swept into a bun, looked down on her, a small baby in her arms.

"Mama, you too?" she asked. Isabella laughed.

"I'm sorry, Emma," she said. "But you three are so adorable."

Emma crossed her arms childishly, huffing. Isabella and Norman only laughed further.

(E/c) eyes watched the four from behind a tree, training specifically on the ginger. [Name]'s (h/c) hair fell forward as her grip on the tree's bark tightened.

[Name]'s heart ached to laugh like that herself one day. For all of her 4 years at Grace Field Orphanage, she had never experienced the things that came out of this perfect childhood. [Name] had always been logical and critical, her maturity beyond her years.

As much as she hated to admit it, she was envious of her siblings, especially Emma. The ginger was almost like a second sun, drawing in everyone with her warmth. It was so easy for her to make friends.

On the other hand, [Name] repelled everyone around her. She never knew how to make friends, or to even communicate as a 4-year-old should. The only person she had had a full conversation with was the orphanage's caretaker, Isabella. While the other 3 children her age clicked together like puzzle pieces, she had been the outcast, watching them as they played.

"Look, I don't know what Emma did to you," said a voice from above, "but maybe you could talk to her about it instead of glaring at her from across the field."

[Name] jumped. Sitting comfortably among the tree's branches was an older blue-haired boy. Hanging from his neck was what seemed to be a square amulet on a string. [Name] flinched, jumping back to hide behind a completely different tree. The boy raised an eyebrow, jumping down from his perch.

"What's wrong?" he asked, fiddling with his amulet. "We're all supposed to be a family, so no need to be afraid."

[Name] shook her head, shrinking behind the tree. "Family"? She never knew what that word meant. She heard it used multiple times to describe the relationship between the children of Grace Field and Isabella. She understood that it referred to parents and children living together in a household, but there was a connection that she never got. [Name] had poured over the different definitions in the dictionary, but none of it made sense to her.

The bond between her siblings and her caretaker went far more than just living within the same house.

She snapped back to reality when the boy jumped down with a soft thud. His lips were curled into a slight frown as he took in her trembling frame.

"Hey," he said softly. "You okay?"

[Name] didn't respond. The boy sighed, kneeling. He looked down at his amulet, his delicate fingers turning a small key attached to its side. [Name]'s eyes widened slightly when a song sprang forth. A wave of nostalgia washed over the young girl. She knew that song.

[Name] peeked out from the tree, hesitantly stepping forward. The boy smiled.

"There we go," he said, standing up. "See? There's nothing to be afraid of." He held a hand to the girl. "I'm Marin. Nice to officially meet you, [Name]."

In a stereotypical situation, [Name] would've taken his hand, and a beautiful relationship would've bloomed.

Unfortunately, this is not a stereotypical situation, and [Name] was a coward with zero social skills. So she did what any person would've done in her situation.

The little shit ran away, leaving Marin in a cloud of dust.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

HEY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PLEASE READ THE BELOW

hello so I forgot to mention this, so for all of the chapters with the music notes (or ) all of the main characters (Emma, Norman, Ray, [Name]), are all four years old. When the chapters have this next to their titles, then we're into the anime/manga and they are now 11 years old.

some people were confused, so don't worry, I'm not shipping someone who's Phil's age with the Full Score Trio. I do have some decency.

which, by the way, this is an X READER, which means there will be ships and romantic interactions. but not until we're older. and by older i mean like around 13-14 is when it starts happening, when we're 11 it's very tiny