Chapter 3: The Past Never Leaves, It Just Likes to Stay.

New chapter for you all to read- ENJOY!

vote. comment. follow.

Chapter 3: The Past Never Leaves, It Just Likes to Stay.

The same night after dinner- January 3rd, 2019

Miles hears his phone ring after he and Jamal finish dinner. It's his mom, Gloria, and she wants to know what is up with her former son. Miles kindly sends her a text reading: I thought you said that leading this new lifestyle of mine was a sin. Well, I would appreciate you not calling since you said this isn't good for me. I finally feel like myself. Goodbye, Mom.

He waits a few minutes and the phone buzzes with a message from his mom: I know that honey; I still would like to hear from you. Yes I may not accept this new way of living but who knows what the future holds. Miles sends her a message back: You just don't get it do you? You hated me for even coming out of the closet. Just please stop talking to me right now. I just need some space. I don't like saying that last part but it's true. Gloria replies quickly: I just miss my boy. My only boy. Then he became something he isn't anymore. I understand and respect you need your space. Miles replies back: I'm not your little straight boy anymore, Mom. Thank you for respecting my space.

"What was that all about?" says Jamal. "My mom won't leave her little boy, now a grown 25 year old man, alone." says Miles. "Is she trying to understand some?" says Jamal. "She is. But I don't think she'll come around. She will still be the same mom, and I will be someone completely opposite of what she wants me to be. And that's how I am staying. I am staying as the person I was meant to become." says Miles. "You've always had that wisdom in you. I wish I did." says Jamal. "Thanks." says Miles. "You're welcome." says Miles.

A week later on January 10th, 2019

San Francisco, CA

Jamal + Miles Apartment

The doorbell rings and it is something Miles wasn't expecting. His parents showed up at the door and he isn't happy.

"What in part of respecting my space do you not understand?" says Miles. "We just couldn't take it anymore." says Gloria. "You said I committed a sin for just being gay. Well, I would like you to get out." says Miles. "Now listen..." says Jamie. "No, you both listen- I am not going back to the person you always wanted me to be. I will never. This is the new me; either accept it or leave." says Miles. "You're right; I don't accept neither does your dad. We will gladly leave." says Gloria, exiting out the door with Jamie. "What was all that commotion?" says Jamal. "My parents showed up this morning clearly not listening to me whatsoever." says Miles. "I'm sorry you've got parents that can't clearly accept this new you." says Jamal. "Thanks for understanding." says Miles. "No problem." says Jamal. "What did you want to do today?" says Miles. "I've got no idea." says Jamal. "We'll think of something, if not staying in is good too." says Miles. "I like the sound of that myself. Let's stay in." says Jamal.

Jamal goes ahead to make the coffee and breakfast (which Miles thought that was awful nice of him to do). They get ready and veg out a majority of the day; Jamal orders in most of the meals from UberEats. By the end of the day, the doorbell rings. A note is slipped under the door and it reads: Brunch tomorrow at 11am?- Love from your neighbors in the next apartment complex over.

"We got a note from our neighbors the apartment over from us to go with them to brunch tomorrow." says Miles. "That's awful nice. Do you want to go?" says Jamal. "Sure. These people seem like my kinda people." says Miles. "What time?" says Jamal. "It said 11am. We can be up around 9 and have coffee and get ready." says Miles. "Sounds like a plan." says Jamal.