Part 6

Composing myself as quickly as possible, I buttoned up my jeans, straightened down my shirt and brushed my hair through my fingers. It definitely wasn't enough, but at least I'd tried to look presentable.
I was aware that I'd be wearing the same outfit to Martha's for evening drinks than I'd been wearing at work all day, but it would have to do. I didn't have a choice, we were already running late, and the little, um, soirée in the store cupboard hadn't helped.
Although, it had helped my nervousness. I now sauntered like a floating feather through the trailer, Ben swiftly behind me, subtly pushing me out of the door and collecting my things for me as we went.
"Come on, bit faster please." He said hurriedly.

I had barely caught my breath by the time we were in his car. I exhaled a sigh deeply as I fastened my seatbelt.
"Ben, that was-" I'd finally managed to find words, and speak them without my voice trembling. He turned to me and flashed a filthy grin before starting the engine.
"You're so cute when you're sex-drunk." He chuckled.

Without talking, because I couldn't summon words, we drove to Martha's. Ben parked questionably outside, justifying it by saying we were in a massive hurry. Walking down the front path, I tried to snap out of my trance, shaking my head and slapping my cheeks, making Ben furrow his eyebrows and laugh at me.
"Shut up, you've done this to me!" I playfully hit him on the arm, giggling but also aware of how ridiculous I looked. Ben rang the doorbell and I could hear people inside the house already. Martha answered.
"Where have you two been? You're late," looking at me, she added, "And why are you that colou- Ohhh..."
Martha's sudden realisation just confirmed that I looked a hot mess.
"We were just... tidying up." I said, trying to act nonchalant by tossing my hair.
"Is that what you call it?" Martha smirked. "Kay. Come in." She turned around and walked into the house, gesturing for Ben and I to follow. We turned into the living room to see that everyone else had already arrived and were down to business with the alcohol.
An unorganised ruckus of 'Heys', 'hellos' and 'ohh, here they are's' erupted from the four men occupying sofas and arm chairs.
"Drink?" Martha asked from behind me.
"Yes please, I'll have what you're having." I tried to be polite, hoping Martha didn't preference Bloody Marys.
"Vodka and coke?"
"Perfect!" I said.
"Jules' favourite. She had about twenty vodka and cokes on the night out last week." Mat piped up.
His need to bring that night up and constant teetering on the edge of telling everyone what happened was a real rollercoaster for my nerves. I flashed him a 'don't you dare say another word' kind of look which made him visibly snap his mouth shut.

I was still awkwardly standing in the doorway, not knowing what to do with myself and realising my hands were really awkward and where were you supposed to put them?
Ben sat down onto a sofa and pulled my hand to guide me to sit next to him. Luckily my bum didn't take up much room, but Jim had to scootch over, causing Simon to retreat to the arm of the sofa.
"Thanks." I appreciated them making room.
I did not feel comfortable enough in front of these people to touch Ben in any way. We both sat with our hands on our laps, facing forward and totally silent. No one spoke.
"So, where have you been then?" Simon tried to break the ice.
"I don't think we want to know, actually." Larry added from an arm chair in the corner.
That just made the awkwardness ten times worse.
I stood up, startling everyone with my quick move.
"I'll go and help Martha with the drinks." I said. I didn't know what else to do. The tension was so thick in the living room, I'd rather have been swallowed up by Martha's vintage leather sofas.

As I made my way to the kitchen, I heard the guys in the living room whispering. God, I hoped they weren't talking about me. I imagined it: 'What's wrong with her?', 'She's so weird', 'Why are you with her, Ben?'
I breathed deeply and said "knock knock" at Martha's, already open, kitchen door, just so I didn't scare her.
"Hey," She looked up at me with a wide grin. Martha seemed really lovely and I was so grateful for a welcoming face in this house.
"Everything okay?" She asked.
Feeling more comfortable with Martha, I felt I could act more natural. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the kitchen counter and holding my head in my hands. Breathing out through pursed lips, I exaggerated my anxiety.
"Not really." I sighed, half with a non-serious tone.
"What is it?" Martha was immediately by my side, jumping up onto a bar stool at her kitchen island, preparing herself for gossip.
"It's so awkward in there. I feel like no one likes me. They're all whispering about me now!" Almost immediately I felt close and comfortable with Martha, like we'd been friends for ages. I suppose she knew exactly how the guys could be.
"Oh, don't be silly!" She started, "If Ben loves you, we love you." I started to smile and blush, hoping she hadn't noticed. "They just don't know what to say to you because they don't want to upset you, or Ben for that matter."
"Why were they whispering?" I looked down to my lap.
"Um, no offence girl but, probably because you arrived late, red faced and hair like a birds nest. It's pretty obvious you weren't held up in traffic." She giggled, offering a reassuring smile. "You know what boys are like, they probably want all the juicy details."
I rolled my eyes. Martha got down from the bar stool to open her handbag. Rifling around, she pulled out a hairbrush and held it out to me.
"Thanks." I laughed, I really was grateful to her.
"Now, speaking of juicy details..." She raised her eyebrows and perched back up onto her seat.
"Oh no, not you too." I brought the palm of my hand to my face and cringed with a giggle.
"Actually, I don't really want to know. I've known Ben forever, he's like my brother. It's gross." Martha said, suddenly changing her mind.
"Well, one thing I can tell you is it most certainly is not gross." I shifted my eyes and smirked.
"No! No, stop, I don't want to hear it!" She held her fingers to her ears. We both laughed.
"Thank you for making me feel better." I said.
Martha held her arms out for a hug and we awkwardly hugged each other while getting down from our stools.