Part 14

I wanted to make a plan for the day. Something to take both mine and Ben's minds off of intimacy. While he got up to shower, I reached for my phone that lay on the bedside table, composing a text to Martha:

"Hey, do you fancy doing something today?"

She replied almost immediately.

"Aren't you with Ben?"

"Yeah, come over."

"Okay, only if you're sure. I won't be long."

I sent the exact same text to Mat, who didn't question it.

"I'll be there in a bit!"

When Ben came back into the bedroom I felt my breath catch as he stood in just a towel. I knew what he was trying to do. I raised my eyebrows at him and tried my best not to give in to my animalistic desires.

"I've invited Mat and Martha around today." I spoke into the silence.

"Oh," Ben looked at me, surprised. "I thought we were doing something today."

"Well, I just thought it would be nice to hang out with them."

"We hung out with them last night." His eyes lingered on me for an explanation as to what was really going on. "Jules," He started, sitting down beside me on the bed. "I barely get to be alone with you. Work is so busy and I just want to make up for how I treated you."

"It's fine, you don't need to. We're fine."

"Are we?" He took a breath, "I'm worried about you."

I brushed his comment off, snorting. "Don't be! I'm fine." My unconvincing smile must've just added to his confusion. Getting up from the bed, I busied myself with getting dressed and preparing for Mat and Martha's arrival. I realised that if I didn't then I would probably have burst into tears.

I showered quickly but thoroughly, trying to destroy every scent particle of William's aftershave, which I could still feel lingering in my nostrils. The memories of last night and his dominance made the tears impossible to hold back. Thankfully, tears are pretty much invisible in the shower. Stifling sobs into my hand, I splashed my face and turned the shower off, quickly getting dressed before Ben became suspicious of where I'd got to.

Descending the stairs while still trying to compose myself and hide my misery, I could smell bacon cooking. Ben stood over the stove, adding oil to a frying pan.

"Smells good," I said, trying to act.

He didn't reply, just shot me a small smile. I sat at the kitchen table and watched him cook, both of us in silence. When he was finsihed, he placed a plate in front of me before stroking the top of my head and planting a kiss on my crown. I winced slightly when his hand rested for too long on the back of my neck. Walking away, he stopped in his tracks, noticing something.

"Jules, what is this?" His hand took mine and flipped it over, observing dark red marks around both of my wrists where William had held me tightly last night.

I looked down, only now learning of their existence.

"I-" I started but couldn't finish. My mouth refused to function and I felt my heart drop. Ben sat down at the table opposite me and held his head in his hands, looking down and not speaking. I could hear my breathing, unsure of whether it was because of how quiet the room was or because my breathing was deep and anxious. I wanted to cry. I felt scared. My eyes did not leave my lap until Ben stood and walked over to me.

He kneeled down by my chair and took my hands.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, his voice cracking.