Part 13

Red wine filled the glass in front of me for the second time that evening.
Martha and I sat side by side at a table in, what appeared to be, the quietest pub in London. I was glad though. Glad Larry was here because it meant there was no way on this Earth we'd be setting foot in a club. He hated them.
It felt so nice to just be able to hang out with the guys without having to shout over music or be shushed at during a Star Wars marathon.
After the guys ordered their drinks, they joined us at a big, round table. Mat sat on my other side and I felt odd not to be sat next to Ben. I didn't want to say anything to Mat or Martha, so I just let the seating arrangement be. Even Ben didn't mention it after passing me a look and subtly laughing at Mat's bold move. I don't think Mat even noticed.

***

An hour or more had passed before Simon looked to Ben who was sat at his side, "Why are you sat with me?" He suddenly realised.
The gang laughed.
"I'm trying to make a move, Simon. Didn't you feel my hand on your thigh?" I rolled my eyes at Ben's reply and giggled.
"Is that what that was?" Simon replied.
Everyone laughed before looking at Mat.
"Oh, shit, sorry! You should've said!" Mat said, getting up from his seat to swap with Ben.
"It's kind of a given, mate." Jim interjected.
"Well, I was here first." Martha said, "You can fight me for it." She folded her arms to show she wasn't moving for any man.
"Nah, you're alright." Ben pretended to act frightened of Martha, skirting around her with a wide birth. He sat next to me and pecked me on the lips.
"Aww," Jim and Larry said, before Jim pretended to gag.
"How old are you?" I laughed.
"Seven." Jim replied.
"That would explain a lot." Martha chuckled.
A warm hand reached around the back of my chair to stroke my exposed shoulders in an attempt to make me feel more comfortable.
As the banter continued, I felt Ben lower his head, leaning in to whisper to me, "You alright?"
I nodded my head, reaching for the glass of wine and bringing it to my red rouged lips, leaving a light stain on the glass. Ben retracted his arm and placed a gentle kiss to my neck, his hair tickling my cheek.

I was pretty sure a Ben had quietly told the gang what had happened earlier that evening. After we'd arrived at the pub, I'd gone to the bathroom to make sure I was presentable and when I returned it seemed that the group looked at me with more sympathy and seemed gentler, laying off the harsher banter for the night. 

I was holding Ben's hand in both of mine on my lap. Every now and again he would give my hand a reassuring squeeze and I would look up to his comforting gaze.
"I need a wee!" Martha declared very loudly in the isolated pub, standing up suddenly. I looked at her and laughed. "Come with?" She said.
I stood up, gently passing Ben's hand back to him and flashing him a smile. He stroked the small of my back and I stood, and I followed Martha to the bathroom. She was definitely more drunk than she thought she was as I laughed at her swaying from side to side and almost twisting her ankle in her stilettos.
While Martha pee'd, I hopped up onto the side, next to a sink as I called out to her.
"No more red wine for you tonight!" I laughed.
"I'm fine!" She slurred her words from inside the cubicle which made me giggle even more.
"Wash your hands." I said as she walked towards the sink.
"Yes, mum." Martha said, causing me to furrow my eyebrows and laugh. "I heard what happened earlier." She blurted out.
"Oh," was all I could say.
Martha dried her hands and turned to me. "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. It was just a bit..." I couldn't think of how to explain it. "Scary."
"Hm." Martha didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay. Hopefully that's the last we see of him." I was looking down.
"Ben would do anything to protect you, you know that, don't you?" Martha seemed more sober now, she held a serious look.
"I know." I did.

***

Back at the table we were met by a football argument, one that Ben knew I would soon get bored of.
"It's been great seeing you all, but we really should be going" Ben said pushing himself up from the table.
The gang didn't protest our departure as they all seemed to be aware of the evening's earlier events. I stood up and hugged Martha.
"Thank you for being a friend." I said. She squeezed me into the hug in response and smiled.
Ben extended a hand to me and I gladly accepted it, waving goodnight to everyone as we left the pub hand in hand.