Part 8

Martha and I hung out in the kitchen for most of the morning, preparing a fried breakfast for everyone, which ended up being served as brunch after it took so long.
Of course I was over the moon to be in an actual relationship with Ben, but to add friends into the mix, and Martha, who I already felt extremely close to.
While we were frying sausages and laughing about last night's sleeping arrangements, Mat walked into the kitchen to join us.
"Smells good!" He said, enthusiastically clapping his hands together.
Mat jumped up onto one of the high bar stools at the kitchen island, turning it towards Martha and I.
"So what are we talking about?" He asked.
"Nothing." I replied, bluntly. "I know what you're like for keeping secrets." I gave him an eyebrow raise and a disappointed look.
"I said nothing!" He protested.
"Liar, you said everything!" Martha was giggling.
"Yes, thank you. We don't need to discuss it again. We were all very drunk and I don't remember most of it." I lied. I remembered all of it, but if I could pretend that I had no recollection then it might be less embarrassing for both Mat and I. I mean, after everything we'd done together, it was so awkward to even think about, let alone mention. I could barely look him in the eye knowing the truth.
"Well, if you can't remember I'm happy to remind you." Mat started to say.
"Okay, new rule!" I held both my hands up. "We never, ever, ever discuss that night and what happened."
"But if you can't remember what happened, why are you so worried about it?" Mat pulled a face as if he was going to wink, but then realised that winking was weird and not his thing.
"Please?" I looked at Mat, knowing I could trust Martha.
"Okay, fine. But Martha needed to know. For administrative reasons."
They both nodded.
"Understood. It never leaves the three of us. Pinky swear." I said, holding my pinky finger up and suddenly feeling like a 12 year old.
To my surprise, Mat and Martha both held their pinkies up and we locked them together, chuckling.
"Oh, someone else knows though." Mat realised.
"Oh for fuck sake, Mat! Who?"
"Ben...?" He shrugged.
I rolled my eyes and we all laughed, me with relief.

"Knock knock", Ben walked into the kitchen to a deathly silence and three awing stares. "Shall I-" he pointed behind him, asking if he should leave us to it.
"No, no, it's fine." I said, summoning him over and wrapping my hands around his waist, stood to the side of him. He planted a kiss on the top of my head.
"I've barely seen you all morning." He said softly, not wanting everyone to hear his neediness.
"You can have her now, this is almost ready to serve." Martha said, getting plates out of the cupboard and turning off the hob. "FOOD!" She yelled as loudly as she could, causing Mat to cover one of his ears in surprise with how loud she could be.
All of a sudden, I wasn't as interesting to Ben. He let go of me and grabbed a plate, standing next to Martha and forming a queue, like collecting a school dinner. Martha piled food onto everyone's plates as they descended on the kitchen like vultures.
We all sat around the kitchen island, save Larry who had hopped up onto the kitchen worktop to eat with his plate on his lap due to lack of chairs.
Within minutes Simon had finished eating and was scratching around in the frying pans to see if there was anything left. Jim didn't eat his bacon and I didn't eat my egg, so Simon scrounged those.
"Lovely, Martha!" Jim exclaimed.
"Um, it was both of us actually!" Martha said looking to me. I thanked her recognition with a smile.
"Ohh, well done guys. Delicious!"
"What shall we do today?" Larry said after he'd finished eating.
"Movie?" Mat suggested, the whole group looking out the window to bucketing rain.
"STAR WARS MARATHON!!!" Larry yelled so loudly it made me jump. He launched himself off of the worktop and ran into the living room, rifling around in Martha's dvd cabinet. Groans and eye rolls descended.
"I'll be in after I've tidied this lot up." Martha said as people started to rise from the table.
"We'll do that! You did the cooking." Ben looked to Mat and Jim, looking for an agreement.
"Hm, I suppose." Jim returned.
"Oh, thanks. It's just putting it in the dishwasher. Oh, and don't break anything!" Martha sounded like she'd rather do it herself to be honest.
"Thanks guys." I added before giving Ben a cheeky look and making my way to the living room with Martha. Simon looked like he was willing to stay and tidy up, when in reality he just stayed seated and watched the others at work.