7: Waiting Room

After a gut wrenching call from Ben, Bexley and Josh rushed to the hospital with her parents in tow.

Nobody was really sure what was happening. Only that her case had gotten worse and if they didn't take action now, she wouldn't make it.

So the waiting game began.

oOOo

11:54 PM

Josh was asleep against Bexley's shoulder as she sang to little Peter. Elizabeth was asleep in the seat next to Trevor. Henry was spread across three chairs. Cara had coaxed James to sleep for a little bit, letting him use her shoulder as a pillow in a sibling like manner. Michael was on a plane heading back for Rochester. Joe and Martha were both dead silent, too afraid to speak. Sky sat on the floor, leaning against Cara's legs for support. Better her than the floor. May and Stephen sat next to Joe and Martha. Ben was wide awake, his eyes trained on JoJo who was pacing back and forth.

" I will sing no Requiem, tonight." Bexley sang to Peter. After she ran out of lullabies, she moved onto soothing Broadway songs.

" More." Peter stated up at her with big blue eyes.

" You should go to sleep, buddy." Bexley whispered.

" Pwease." He gave her a puppy dog look and she folded.

" Josh, I know you're awake." Bexley whispered.

" I figured." Josh whispered, sitting up more.

" Your turn." Bexley passed Peter to her husband, curling against his shoulder. She smiled to herself as he began to softly sing Santa Fe to Peter.

oOOo

1:35 am

Most everyone had fallen asleep. James was awake, along with Cara and Sky. Peter was cuddling with Bexley, who was more than happy to watch him to let his parents rest. And Josh was holding her. JoJo had finally sat down, leaning heavily into Ben until they both fell asleep. Everyone else had fallen asleep and stayed asleep as the night progressed.

" What if she doesn't make it?" James whispered.

" Don't say that." Cara said softly.

" I can't lose her. I love her." James murmured. Sky and Cara shared the briefest of glances.

" We just have to have faith." Cara stated.

" She's a strong girl." Sky nodded.

oOOo

4:28 am

" Mr and Mrs. Bachmann?" A nurse walked into the waiting room. Everyone roused awake quickly.

" Yes?" Martha and Joe were up in a flash.

" She's lucky. Very lucky. But the surgery went well and she is reacting to treatments splendidly." The nurse grinned.

" Oh thank the Lord!" Martha sighed.

oOOo

12:57 pm

" Hey Lils." JoJo knocked on the door. Lillian turned to face her sister.

" Jo." Her voice sounded weak and tired.

" You gave us quite the scare." JoJo shoved her hands in her pockets as she made her way forward.

" Sorry." Lillian laughed tiredly.

" Good news is, the cancer's gone. They removed it." Lillian offered.

" That's really good news." JoJo nodded in agreement.