46: JoJo's Last Show

So, this took so long mainly because I was working on another book that literally has nothing to do with Broadway and probably won't be published. Enjoy!

" Why can't I perform longer?" JoJo complained.

" Because you're three months pregnant with twins." Natalie deadpanned.

" But, I can still play Miss Dorothy." JoJo protested.

" No, no you cannot." Bexley shook her head.

" BET!" JoJo called.

" What're we betting?" Josh strolled in.

" Josh, tell them that I can!" JoJo shouted.

" Josh, tell her she can't." Bexley smiled sweetly.

" I'm siding with my wife." Josh said.

" You're no fun." JoJo huffed.

oOOo

" Hey, babe." Ben strolled into JoJo's dressing room that she shares with Tiana, who plays Ms. Meyers.

" Hi." JoJo replied miserably.

" What's wrong?" He asked.

" I don't want it to be my last show." JoJo pouted.

" I know." Ben pressed a kiss to the top of her head as he leaned over the back of his chair.

" Well, at least I get to see you perform more." She cracked a smile.

" And hang out with Penny." Ben added helpfully.

" True." JoJo grinned.

oOOo

" So, this is Rylie, she will be playing Miss. Dorothy after JoJo." Kennith introduced a young woman to the cast. Her copper curls spilled over her shoulders, perfectly matching with her deep green dress.

" Hello, I'm excited to work with all of you." She smiled pleasantly.

" Please don't tell me we've got another Maya." Josh muttered under his breath. Ben snorted loudly.

" You okay?" Kennith cocked an eyebrow.

" He's never okay." JoJo shook her head.

" Fair enough." Kennith nodded.

" I didn't realize there were kids in this show." Rylie looked at Penny. The little girl shrunk back.

" She is Josh and Bexley's daughter, they play Jimmy and Millie." Kennith explained as Josh lifted Penny into his arms.

" Oh, okay." Rylie nodded.

oOOo

" I'm not ready." JoJo murmured backstage.

" JoJo, you'll still be with us." Bexley assured her.

" Just enjoy yourself." Natalie smiled. The backstage lights flashed.

" Showtime." Bexley winked.

oOOo

" Baby, why am I sad?" JoJo wandered into Ben's dressing room during intermission.

" Because it's your last show?" Sky called.

" You're hungry?" Iain asked.

" You're tired!" Jane said as she passed the door.

" You're pregnant." Natalie stopped outside the door.

" Yes." Ben agreed dumbly. JoJo laughed at his dumbfounded expression.

oOOo

" Cara, can you help me?" Penny snuck into the orchestra pit during intermission. She had become a reoccurring presence there, not that anyone minded.

" What's up?" Cara glanced up from her sheet music.

" My violin string broke." Penny held up her violin.

" Here." Cara chuckled, taking the violin from her.

" Thanks." Penny said after Cara finished.

" You okay?" Cara noticed Penny wasn't as happy as normal.

" I don't know." Penny sighed.

" What's wrong?" Cara brushed Penny's hair over her shoulder.

" JoJo is sad, Ben is always with her. Nick and Natalie are always together. You and Sky can't play anymore. All I have are mommy and daddy." Penny ran her fingers up and down the strings of her violin.

" What's so bad about having your parents attention?" Cara questioned.

" I liked how it was before, when everyone was together and happy." Penny looked at her feet.

" Penny, just because were aren't always together or always happy, doesn't make us any less of a family." Cara explained.

" I just miss it." Penny said.

" Ya know, I bet we can do something again soon, just like we used to." Cara offered.

" Really?" Penny's face lit up.

" Yes, but you need to talk to the others." Cara nodded.

" Why don't you go talk to JoJo, I bet she could use some cheering up." Cara suggested.

" Okay!" Penny threw her arms around Cara's shoulders before running off.

oOOo

JoJo was crying for her final bow, not as much as she anticipated though. Josh and Bexley made their way down stage.

" Tonight was our lovely JoJo's last performance before she takes off time for maternity leave." Bexley started.

" We've loved having her on our cast as Miss Dorothy. Let's give her a round of applause!" Josh called. The crowd cheered and hollered for JoJo.

" Not that we'll be losing her, she'll still be traveling with us and her husband." Bexley added.

" You guys are ridiculous." JoJo called with a laugh.

oOOo

" Ben, you think we're having boys or girls?" JoJo asked later that night.

" Well, we're both fraternal twins, so I'm guess one of each." Ben strolled out from the bathroom, patting a towel against his wet curls.

" Probably." She nodded, running her hand over her stomach.

" Any name ideas?" She questioned.

" Well, if we have a boy, William, obviously." Ben started.

" I still like Harper for a girl." JoJo stated.

" And I still like Reese." Ben laughed.

" What if we have two boys though?" JoJo questioned.

" Then, Remy?" Ben shrugged.

" That works." JoJo nodded.

" But we're still naming our daughter Harper." JoJo added.

" Whatever you say." Ben chuckled, leaning over to kiss her.

Okay, but Loki's and Valkyrie's fight scene in Ragnarok is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever watched