"He's my STEP-brother"

3rd person POV

The newly aquatinted friends eventually found themselves a nice spot in the corner of the courtyard to sit and eat their lunch. They set their bags and lunches on the old picnic table and plopped down across from each other. Neither of them knew it yet. But this would be "their spot" for years to come.

Wendy POV

To be honest, I was quite surprised when Romeo suggested we sat alone for lunch. Sure I was quite embarrassed by the antics of my older brother and the way he bickered with Romeo's brother, but I didn't wanna make Romeo uncomfortable by asking him if he wanted to sit alone with me. I just lucked out that he had the same idea that I did. It's kind of nice to be alone with him....N-NOT IN THAT WAY OF COURSE. I JUST MET HIM, THERE'S NO WAY I COULD EVEN REMOTELY FEEL THAT WAY ALREADY...right?

I was snapped out of my daze by Romeo waving his hands in front of my face.

"Hello, Earth to Wendy. You there?"

"Oh...yes! Sorry. Guess I kind of spaced out a bit there." I replied shyly

Romeo let out that toothy grin again that despite me just meeting him today, felt like I knew all too well. "It's alright, I was just wondering, how long has your mom been married to Gray's dad? And how do you guys get along so well? He may be older, but Natsu is so annoying and immature I swear I wanna kill him sometimes."

"Well it's been basically since we were both little, so it's like we grew up together as siblings. We've pretty much always got along because he's always been there to watch over me and protect me. And I know he cares a lot, but sometimes I feel like he can be a bit much. I appreciate his concern though of course. It's like he's my real brother. What about your older brother, is he protective of you?"

"Well for starters Wendy, Natsu is NOT my brother, he's my STEP-brother, and I'd appreciate if you referred to him as such. And second, we really try to stay out of each other's hair as much as possible. Anytime we're forced to spend time together it just ends up in one big argument."

"That's terrible. I'm sorry Romeo, I'm sure when you are both older and maybe out of school you'll be able to get closer-" I was cut off by Romeo before I could finish.

"Don't be sorry Wendy. I have no intention on trying to make nice with him more than I have to. My dad has been married to his mom for 3 years. And after he graduates this year he'll go off to college and excluding when he'll visit for the holidays, I'll be free of his stupidity." Romeo remarked with a smug expression.

"Well, I can tell you're not fond of him, but just because you guys aren't blood brothers, doesn't mean you guys can't have a brotherly bond right?" I suggested.

Romeo just gave me an irritated look, signaling he wanted this topic to be over with.

"Okay okay, just promise me you'll at least take it into consideration alright? Please. For me?" I pleaded with a smile.

"Fiiiiiiiine. You're lucky you're cute you know." Romeo said admitting defeat.

W-what did he just say? Did he just call me....cute?!