"Like...a date?"

Romeo POV

I sat in homeroom, waiting for school to start. It was early, 7:45am, and I was sitting down waiting for Wendy to get here like I did every morning. I usually beat her here since Natsu and I took the bus.

Just as I looked up from playing solitaire on my phone I noticed the cheery, happy-go-lucky bluenette walk in just as I had every single morning for the past couple of months. And just like it had every single time I lay eyes on her, my heart began to race. This isn't normally how guys felt when they looked at their best friend who just happened to be a female right? Despite the slight crush I'd had on Wendy for the past couple of months since we'd started hanging out and became best friends, I don't see her as someone I'd ever ask to be my girlfriend. I couldn't ruin our friendship by putting that on her. Plus I doubt she feels the same. We're too good of friends...yet I can never shake the feelings I have beneath the surface...the truth is....I love Wendy Marvell...I'm in love with my best friend.

Wendy POV

I walked in the front doors of the school with my brother Gray like I had every morning since starting school here at fairy tail high two months ago. We usually arrived about 10 or 15 mins before it was time for school to start so the hallways were usually filled already by the time we got to school. I saw my brother off as he left to go over to his usual group of friends consisting of Lucy, Gajeel and Romeo's brother Natsu...and apparently a blue haired girl I'd never seen with them or met before...but she must've been pretty close to my brother because as they walked down the hall their hands were now intertwined. I am soooooooo interrogating him about this when I get home.

After parting ways with Gray, I walked down the hall to my homeroom, as I had every morning. As I walked through to door, I saw him. Sitting in his usual seat next to mine, casually scrolling through his phone. He looked like he'd been waiting for me, like he does every morning. I flashed him a smile and a wave, and he gave me that toothy grin of his that I'd grown to know and can't get enough of. That smile...oh how I miss that smile when he's not around...I've always tucked these feelings away in the back of my conscious, but until my brother had pointed out how we act around each other, I never acknowledged them for myself. I've finally brought myself to accept it...I love Romeo Conbolt...I'm in love with my best friend.

I was snapped out of my trance by the raven-haired boy waving his hand in my face saying "helloooooo. Wen. You home?"

I blushed. "Y-yeah, sorry. You know how I am in the morning. Sorry Romeo. Good morning."

"Glad you made it on time, you were cuttin it close yeh know" Romeo teased.

"Oh whatever. Besides, it was Gray's fault. I'm a teenage girl and he takes twice as long as I do to get ready in the morning. What does he even do in there?!" We both laughed at this remark

"Hey Wen. So you've heard about the school festival right?" Romeo asked, switching gears.

"What's that? No one's ever said anything about a festival to me." It was true. I hadn't heard anything about a school festival since I started going here a couple of months ago.

The raven-haired boy looked at me puzzled. "Weird. It's like the biggest event of the school year here. After the first couple of months the school puts on this big festival to celebrate hearing the end of the first semester. There's food, games, music, all kinds of cool stuff. And it's all right here on campus."

"Oh wow...that does sound pretty cool. It's strange how I hadn't heard about it until now. When is it?"

Romeo paused for a second. Averting eye contact with me. What's up with him? His tone changed so drastically. He finally was able to manage his words.

"Y-yeah...it is really cool. And it's coming up this Saturday...and....speaking of the festival coming up...I was wondering..." his sentence trailed off. He started avoiding eye contact with me even more, and I even noticed a hint of pink starting to gather on his cheeks.

I started to blush as well. Waiting eagerly for him to finish his thought. "Y-you...you were wondering what R-Romeo?"

"...I was wondering....if you'd wanna go with me?" He finally managed to say.

I felt my face be overcome with warmth, and I couldn't see myself but I just knew I was flushed with red all over my face. There was so much I wanted to ask and say. But all I could manage was...

"L-like....a date?"