"I think you're cute too"

Romeo POV

'WHAT THE HELL ROMEO. YOU JUST CALLED HER CUTE! IDIOT! DUDE YOU LITERALLY JUST MET HER 4 HOURS AGO. I MEAN SURE SHE IS PRETTY CUTE BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN JUST OUTRIGHT TELL HER THAT! I mean...not yet anyway...right?'

I was broken out of my internal monologue by Wendy calling my name.

"Romeo? Are you alright?"

"Y-yeah. Sorry Wendy." I replied nervously.

"Hey Romeo...did you say I was....cute...just now?" Wendy asked, averting eye contact, a slight blush emerging on her cheeks which I thought made her even more adorable. WHAT AM I SAYING?! SNAP OUT OF IT CONBOLT!

"Uhhhh. I miiiiiiiight have been thinking out loud a bit...sorry...I know we met like a few hours ago, and I promise I'm not just trying to be a flirt or get in the new girls pants or anything, I'm not that guy I swear. Everything I've been doing is strictly because I want to help you out, genuinely. Sorry I just couldn't help but acknowledge how....cute...you are...." I reluctantly admitted defeat.

"No no it's okay, I didn't get that impression at all Romeo, and I know you're genuinely trying to be kind, I can sense that about you, you're truly too sweet Romeo....and for what it's worth.....I think you're cute too" Wendy replies with a smile and a faint blush.

'D-did she just say...she thinks I'm cute too?' I thought to myself. 'Dude you gotta ask her to hang out now!' That much was true. She thinks I'm cute too! I gotta find some way to see her outside of school. Then it hit me.

"H-hey Wendy. Do you have to be home right away after school today?" I asked.

"Hmmmm. Don't think so, why do you ask?"

"Well...it's just that there's this diner not far from school, I usually like to go after baseball practice on my way home. They make some pretty killer milkshakes...I was wondering...if maybe you'd wanna go with me after school? I figured it'd be cool, and we'd get to hang out outside of school." I asked nervously, rubbing the back of my neck.

Wendy paused for a second, which made me even more nervous. But she finally flashed me a smile and nodded.

"Sure Romeo, that sounds really nice I'd love to go with you. Let me just make sure I let Gray and our parents know first, 'kay?" She replied, a hint of excitement in her voice.

And with that, the bell sounded, signaling it was time for us to go to our last two classes.

"C'mon Wendy, I'll walk you" I said, packing up my lunch and book bag before rising from my seat on the picnic table.

Wendy gave me a quick nod, before standing up herself and slinging her book bag over her shoulder.

"Lead the way!" She replied with an adorable smile.

This school year is gonna be one to remember for sure....and it's just day one!