"Friendship huh?"

Wendy's POV

Romeo and I had just walked out of the diner. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those were the boys that claimed to be his "friends" that he was so hesitant for me to meet. I can certainly see why Romeo has no intent to interact with them outside of baseball, definitley not the friendliest individuals I've ever met.

I glanced over at Romeo to find him still visibly bothered by what happened back at the diner. We'd started walking to my house about 10 minutes ago and he hasn't said a word or even looked my way once since. I decided to be the one to break the silence.

"H-hey Romeo? Dont mind those guys okay? Like you said, they aren't your real friends. Don't take anything they say to heart. You're a great person." I said reassuringly.

The raven-haired boy finally lifted his gaze to meet mine and spoke: "It's not that Wen, I'm fine trust me. I've learned to not be bothered by bullshit. I just feel bad that you had to get caught in the crossfire. Especially during a time we were supposed to be hanging out and having fun. I'm sorry it had to end like that." He said in a somber tone.

I gave him a faint smile and reassured him: " Romeo. I had a great time. Today was probably the most fun I've had in my short time in Magnolia. And this was by far the best first day at a brand new school I could've asked for. You were very kind to offer your help to me and show me around school and even town a bit. We've known each other not even a whole day and you're already one of the best friends I've ever had. So thank you Romeo. And don't worry about what happened at the diner, it didn't change the fact that I had a ton of fun getting to hang out with you."

"I-I'm glad you had fun Wen. And I'm glad I could help you get accustomed to our school. You're an awesome friend too. I have a feeling we're going to develop an awesome friendship."

Friendship.

Friendship huh?

UH DUH WENDY YOU JUST MET THE GUY TODAY OF COURSE YOURE FRIENDS.

I mean. It's not like I wanna be anything more anyway, like I said I just met the guy. I couldn't possibly LIKE him...right?

I was snapped out of my daze by the sound of Romeo calling out to me.

"Wendy. Helloooooo. Wendy Marvell?" He called out to me, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh? Sorry Romeo." I said as I finally came to.

At that moment I'd noticed we were at the entrance to my house.

"This is your place right? I'm just making sure I remembered the house number you gave me earlier" Romeo asked, motioning toward the front gate.

"Y-yeah this is the one. Thanks for walking me home Romeo. And for today as a whole. I had a lot of fun. Say...do you got any plans tomorrow after school?" I asked shyly averting eye contact.

"Hmm. Don't think so. Baseball season won't start for another couple of months so for the time being I have absolutely nothing going on after school" Romeo concludes.

"Great, waddya day you take me back to that diner for another milkshake. This time my treat of course." I suggested with a smile.

"Yeah that sounds great Wen! Although I can't promise I'm gonna let you pay." The raven-haired boy teased.

"Well we'll just have to see who has the quickest draw then. But milkshakes it is!" I said, sounding pretty excited. Almost overly excited.

"Well I should let you get going, your parents and brother are probably waiting for you inside. And I should get back too. See you in homeroom in the morning?"

"Yeah of course, I'll see you then Romeo." I replied

And just as he was turning around to walk home I had to stop him.

"Romeo."

"Hmm?"

"Text me when you get home alright? I wanna make sure you get home safe." Wow I really hope that didn't sound too clingy or "girlfriend-like" I mean he's not my boyfriend after all, but he's my friend and I care about him, I genuinely want to ensure he gets home okay. Nothing wrong with that right?

The raven-haired boy just gave me another one of those toothy grins of his and said "Of course Wen, I was going to anyway. I promise I'll be safe." His words were comforting. And with that, he was off in the other direction.

*Fullbuster/Marvell Household later that night at dinner*

For being a mixed family, we were all close enough and comfortable enough talking about our personal lives with each other. My mom has been married to Gray's dad since I was little, so our relationship was as if I was his biological daughter, I trusted him, and Gray too. We chatted about the usual at dinner, mom and dad's work day, Gray and I's school day, Gray's most recent visit to the headmaster's office for picking fights with students or staff, you know family stuff. Then the attention turned to me.

"Wendy honey, how was your first day? We heard that Gray found a little crowd to run with, what about you? Make any new friends?" Mom asked with a smile, passing dad his bowl of rice.

"Actually I did mom. I—" before I could tell my parents all about Romeo I was interrupted by my brother who I love to pieces but can be oh so annoying from time to time.

"Yeh know mom and dad Wendy actually found herself a little boyfriend already. On the first day even! Pretty impressive I must say Wen!" Gray teased before shoveling some soba into his mouth.

"YOU HAVE A WHAT?! WENDY MARVELL YOU MET A BOY?! Y-YOU ARE 15 YEARS OLD MISSY YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HAVING GOOGLY EYES FOR BOYS!!!!" Dad just about blew a fuse at the false claim my idiotic brother had brought up as a joke.

"Actually dad he's not—" I was interrupted again. UGH what does a girl have to do to be heard around here?!

"OH MY GOODNESS MY WENDY MET A BOY!?! Honey what's he like? Is he handsome? Is he tall? What's his name? What does he like? Where did you meet him?" My mom just about overflowed with excitement and the questions just came pouring out of her. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to say something.

"HE'S ACTUALLY NOT MY BOYFRIEND!!!" I shouted. Just loud enough for everyone at the table to hear.

I then composed myself before I continued.
"Mom, dad, yes it's true I met a boy today. But he's just a friend, I mean come on we just met this morning. Sure Romeo is sweet, kind and very willing to help but he is just my friend. I can assure you. He was a big help today on my first day. He showed me to all my classes, showed me a really cool diner not far from here and even walked me home. I didn't think I'd make any friends this fast or easily, so I'm really glad I met Romeo today." I filled them in on all of today's events.

"Well honey, I'm glad you could make a friend so quickly at your new school. And this Romeo sure sounds like a fine young man. If it's okay with you and him, we'd like to meet him sometime." My dad sounded a lot more calm knowing I in fact don't have a boyfriend. Which thank God because I am not in the mood to be hearing "the talk" again.

"Yeah sure. He's actually walking me home again tomorrow. I could have him meet the both of you then if that works?" I suggested

"That would be wonderful sweetheart! Oh I just can't wait! He seems like a wonderful boy Wendy. I'm so glad you've made such a great friend so quickly" my mom once again sounded a little overly excited.

And deep down. I was too. The truth is, I'm as glad as they are. Glad to have met Romeo Conbolt. And excited to see how this friendship with him is going to grow...and if "friendship" is as far as it'll go....