"Old cliche's"

Wendy POV

After dinner Gray and I helped our parents clean up and put everything away per usual, just like every other night.

When that was finished, I headed up to my room to check my phone, since I hadn't looked at it in over a few hours since I never answered or checked my phone while making/eating dinner. I opened it to find a message from Romeo from a couple of hours ago.

<Romeo>
" Hey Wen, just wanted to make sure I let you know I got home safe like I promised! Text me when you get this if you can. Thanks :)"
                                                 Received,4:30pm

For whatever reason, I couldn't help but grow a warm, stuck on stupid smile across my face while reading his message. I felt bad I didn't respond right away, so I decided to do that now.

<Me>
"Hey Romeo, sorry for taking so long. I had to help make dinner as soon as I got home. And I usually don't check my phone while I'm cooking, and we're not allowed to use our phones at the table during dinner. But I am glad to hear you got home okay :) I was looking forward to seeing your message once I finished dinner."
                                                Sent,6:35pm

I then set my phone down for a bit to let my hair down from my usual pig tails, and change into a pair of more comfortable shorts and a baggy t shirt, my typical lounging/night attire. Just as I was about to start brushing out my long blue hair, I heard my phone ding.

To my delight, it was my new Raven-haired friend.

<Romeo>
"Ah don't worry about it Wen, it's no biggie. I had a feeling that was the case. I'm just glad to hear from you. I had a lot of fun today. Probably the most fun I've had in a while. You know, I'm really glad you decided to move to Magnolia Wendy Marvell"
                                           Received,6:41pm

As if his first message didn't cluster me enough, my blush intensified reading this one. He had....fun with me. I've never really hung out with a boy one-on-one before today, and certainly never did anything to make a fun experience for anyone. I had really only one friend from back home, my childhood best friend Chelia. But even last year in our first year in high school we'd already started to drift apart a little. We still talk here and there now, but it's just not the same as when we were kids. But with Romeo...he's an amazing friend...I just wonder if deep down that's really all I see him as....and I wonder if it's the same for him.

Romeo POV

<Me>
"Ah don't worry about it Wen, it's no biggie. I had a feeling that was the case. I'm just glad to hear from you. I had a lot of fun today. Probably the most fun I've had in a while. You know, I'm really glad you decided to move to Magnolia Wendy Marvell"
                                           Sent,6:41pm

I hit send on that last text, then headed over to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.

I really meant what I said. Sure Wendy and I have known each other collectively for less than 24 hours, but I really haven't had as much fun with anyone, and I mean anyone in the past year at the very least as much as I did with Wendy today, and I just met her earlier this morning! And yes. I really am glad her family decided to move to Magnolia. She's a great friend, an amazing friend actually....but deep down...is that all I ever want her to be?

Well I certainly couldn't harbor any feelings for her. I mean we just met today! That's certainly not how that works...right?

My thoughts were interrupted by my phone dinging.

I unlocked it and sure enough, it was the cheery bluenette I'd spent the entirety of the day with, much to my delight.

<Wendy>
"Wow. Well I'm glad you had fun Romeo 😅 I certainly don't see myself as the most overwhelmingly fun person to be around, but I'm glad I could make today fun for you. You certainly did for me, as well as being a big help. I'm glad my family decided to move here as well :)"
                                       Received,6:46pm

I smiled reading the text. She has no idea how cute she is not seeing how fun and amazing she is to be around.

'WAIT. did I just call her cute again?! CONBOLT! what is up with me? I just met the girl. It can't be like that. I mean. At least I don't think it can.

I sighed and laid my head back on my pillow.
I know the whole "love at first sight" cliche' is old and worn out. But is it that far off? I certainly wouldn't say I love Wendy. But I deeply care about her. More than one would typically after making a friend on the first day of meeting them...what is this feeling...am I falling for a girl I just met today?

Wendy POV

I sighed and laid back against my pillow.
I couldn't fight back against the feelings that's been pestering me all day. As much as I don't want to admit it, as quick or rushed as it may seem, and as completely unethical or illogical it may sound.....

I'm falling for the boy I just met today....

I'm falling for Romeo Conbolt....