🖤 The Saddest Word 🖤

Angst Requested by: fOoD_Iz_LaYp

What is love?

The meaning can differ. Whether it's the feeling of your heart fluttering to the way your lips can't help but curl at the sight of someone, it's different for everyone. But it's there, and everyone goes through it at least once. Love can be the best feeling in the world. Other times, it can be the worst feeling in the world. It's a wonder how people can make you feel this way.

"I like you, Ray.." your hands were intertwined together in front of you as you stood nervously, looking straight into the boy's eye. His expression had not shifted in the slightest. His eyes as slant as ever, the dark shade as bland as ever, and his mouth naturally curved down.

"Sorry."

Your eyes widened and your heart quickened.

"I don't have time for something like that right now."

You felt your heart crack as he slightly bowed his head apologetically before turning and walking away. You fell to your knees, slightly cringing as the pointy grass met your soft skin. You balled your hands into fists as you unexpectedly felt tears stream down your cheeks. It was only him that you looked at. It was only him that made your smile possible. It was only him that made you feel this way.

This must be one of the saddest feelings in the world.

And you concluded, the saddest words in the world must be, "Sorry, no."

Your lips curled into a fake smile as you ran towards the others.

"And THATS why you should never eat spaghetti right before going to bed." Don declared as the small children's eyes widened, "Woooah."

Emma looked towards you. "Hey, (Y/N)? What did he say??"

Your expression instantly dropped. "Oh! Uhm, well.."

Emma's eyebrows furrowed as Norman frowned.

"Oh no." Gilda put her hand on your shoulder.

"He doesn't want something like that right now!" You grinned. "It's alright, at least I got that off my chest."

"If you say so." Don murmured, scratching his head as Emma looked down.

You all heard a bell ring which signaled for your return to the house for supper.

.

.

.

As you wandered through the semi busy hallways, you heard some happy voices from the library. Oddly familiar voices. Too familiar.

"Hm?" You turned and saw that the door from the library was slightly open. You peeked through and your heart almost stopped. Your eyes laid upon Anna and Ray, reading a book together.

"Oh wow! And look at this!" Anna giggled, pointing to something inside the book. Ray smirked. Your eyes widened even more at the tiny space between them, and your heartbeat slowed as you saw Ray's cheeks slightly turn red.

"You're right." Ray genuinely smiled. Tears clouded your eyes as he continued, "Hey, Anna—"

When Anna turned, she slightly gasped at how close their faces were.

"Never mind it's nothing." Ray casually brushed off as he looked away and slightly stroked her hair. Anna blushed. You, on the other hand, accidentally let go of the door, which unfortunately opened it more, making a loud creaky noise. The pair quickly looked towards the doorway, towards you, surprised. Ray saw your tears. "(Y-Y/N)?"

Your tears continued to stream down your face as you smiled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude."

And with that, you ran off as Ray called after you. Yeah, now you knew why. Everything was crystal clear.

And you've been wrong.

You could've been her.

You were almost her.

Yeah, almost...

...

You were wrong.
The saddest words are not "Sorry," or "No."
The saddest word in the world must be...

"Almost."