Remember..

"Nice doing business with you," I hear a deep voice say as pain surges through my body and my world fades to darkness.

~

I wake up to a headache, my vision blurry, and light sobbing coming from somewhere in the room. "What happened?" Is all I can think. I hold my head as the headache subdues, my vision begins to clears up, and the shape of a woman sitting with her back to the kitchen counter begins to form. As my vision goes back to normal I see the woman is my wife and the sobbing I hear belongs to her.

"What's wrong honey?" I ask but she just sits and continues to look down at the floor and cries.

"Honey are you okay?" I ask and she looks up at me, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Don't cry honey-" I say as I extend my right arm to try and hold her face, but I get a sharp chest pain and retrieve my arm to hold my chest.

She struggles to stand as she holds her back and makes her way to the living room. "Honey," I call out to her as I stand, the chest pain almost unbearable, but I had to make sure she was okay.

"Why is the kitchen a mess?" I ponder as I look to the sides and see stuff scattered about. "Janice? What happened here?" I ask my wife as I follow her into the living room.

I find her just standing in the middle of the room looking down at something. "Honey?" I say as I walk up to her to see what she it was she was looking at. "Your hands? Janice, is the baby okay!?" I ask as I notice blood on her hands and all over the front of her blouse. I look up at her face and notice a purple bruise on her left cheek, bruises on her neck, and a bruise and blood on her right arm. How had I not noticed this before?

"Jan! What happened?"

"You-you-you're okay baby," she stutters as she wipes away the tears with one hand and holds her belly with the other.

"Thank God' but what happened to you?" I say knowing our baby was fine, but worried about her bruises. "Could you tell me what happened babe and why I can't remember?" I ask as she just holds the her stomach. "Answer me Jan."

"I have to call the police," she answers me as she turns around and walks towards the landline phone besides the couch.

"Okay," I say as I follow her, "but will you tell me what happened after? Why do I have a headache? Why does my chest hurt? Why do you have bruises all over you? Why is the kitchen and living room a mess? And why are your hands bloody?"

Janice picks up the phone and begins to dial the number, but she notices that someone had cut the line. Who did that? I wonder. "Use my cellphone in our room honey," I tell her.

She puts the phone down and makes her way upstairs to our bedroom as I follow behind her. "There it is hun," I say as I point to the nightstand.

She dials 911 and I stand behind her waiting for her to finish, so she could finally tell me what happened here.

"H-hello? I need help," she says and gives the police our home address, but tells them nothing of what happened, which I'm sure leaves the cops just as curious of the situation as I was right now. As she hangs up the phone, she sits on the bed and begins to sob again while gently rubbing her belly.

"It's okay baby. We're okay now," she quietly whispers to our unborn baby.

"Okay Jan, now that you've called the police could you please tell me what the hell happened here?" I ask her as I stand in front of her.

"Jan. Jan answer me. Janice, for the love of God could you please tell-" I stop as my hand goes right through her body when I tried place my hand on her shoulder.