Chapter 8

Luke POV

I had gotten the green light from John, saying it was okay to head back to the house. I wonder what the outcome was. Above all else, I just hope he's fine. I say to myself as I open the door to find him and Seraphina sitting on the couch, like they usually do when they're both here. "So I guess it went well, then?" I ask. "Much better than I had dared hope." John responds gleefully. "As if I'd just up and leave. What kind of friend would I be if I abandoned you when you needed me?" Seraphina says.

"Anyways, you guys hungry?" I ask. "Yeah, just let me whip something together." John says, starting to get up from the couch. "No, no. You're not making food after something as emotionally and mentally draining as that." I respond. "Fine." he says, sitting back down. "What are you even making?" He asks. "You may be the best general cook in the family." I begin. "But nobody even comes close to matching my grilled cheese." I say.

Timeskip to eating

"Oh my God!" Seraphina exclaims. "This is the best grilled cheese I've ever had, and I've had professional chefs cook for me most of my life!" She praises. "Well, they probably don't make them with the ingredients I use." I respond. "And those would be…?" She asks. "Family secret!" I say, to which she pouts.

"So, John." I begin. "Yeah?" He responds. "How much does she know?" I inquire. "Everything. From the jump in power, to the readjustment classes." He responds. "It's good that you finally opened up to someone outside of the family about that." I tell him. "Now, onto the current state of the school." I say. "I've already told you, I don't want to be part of the hierarchy!" John shouts. "Relax. I'm not trying to bring you into anything. I want to see this system go up in smoke. And I need both of your help in order to do that." I explain. "What do you need us to do?" They respond simultaneously.