Chapter 22

John POV

I did it. I won without going overboard. I kept myself in check. Maybe I am worthy of this power. Maybe I just didn't realize that there was a way to control it. I say to myself as I continue to try and help Arlo to the infirmary, much to his dismay. "Would you cut it out already? There's no need to pity me." He snaps. "Don't flatter yourself. I'm just trying to be a good role model for the other students. The fact that you're stronger doesn't mean that others mean nothing. It just makes it harder to accept ideas from them, because of how this society works." I respond. "Why don't you act like a normal high-tier?" He asks.

"Probably because I'm not." I say. "What do you mean you're not?" He questions. "I mean that, for a long time, I had no ability. For most of my life, I've been a cripple. Having seen both ends of society, I decided that the low-tier end suits me more. No one expects anything from you, and you don't need to deal with the constant pressure put on you by high-tiers. Then, with some help, I realized that the only way to change that is to rise to the top, so people listen to what I say." I explain. "Why are you telling me all this?" He asks. "So that you can understand. Hierarchy isn't natural, it's primal. Animalistic. The strong abuse the weak in a hierarchy. That's the way of beasts. Humans are smarter. We've evolved. Well, some have, like Rei, the old king. He was powerful, but still saw the worth in everyone. That's what we're trying to do. We're not tearing down the hierarchy, we're changing it." I explain. "... I understand." He says.

"So you'll help us?" I ask. "No. I understand, but I don't agree. The problem with your plan is that the hierarchy is so ingrained into these people that even if you change the system, you can't change them." He responds. "We'll see about that. Take yourself for example: when you understood the reason behind our changing the system, you became open to it. You just don't agree because you fear other people will turn on you. That's what the hierarchy does. It scares people, so that the ones in power stay there. You can't win by playing their game. You have to make your own rules." I say.

"... Very well, then. I won't join you, but I'm not opposed to the idea. If you want to change the hierarchy, go ahead. I won't try and stop it. But other people will." He says as we reach the infirmary. "Nice chat. Be seeing you." I say, leaving him.

Arlo POV

Could he be right? Could fear be the only reason I'm not taking action? …… I just need time to think. I conclude, entering the infirmary.