Chapter 25

Luke POV

Shortly after our conversation, we were all sitting around the table, eating supper, chatting about nothing in particular when Remi brings something up.

"I've been thinking about something a lot lately." She begins. "What?" John asks. "What are your levels?" She asks. "I'm an 8.8." I say. "And I'm 7.8." John responds. "Just like I thought. You guys are both so far ahead of me." She says dejectedly. "What level are you?" John asks her. "I'm only a 5.4." she says, embarrassed. "That's pretty high." I compliment. "But it's still not strong enough to do anything about this society! I was already behind when it was just Arlo, but now the other Royals can all beat him in seconds!" She says, exasperated. "Strength isn't everything. If you're not careful, it can blind you. To your friends, your family, even what you yourself are doing. It can consume you. Sometimes, it's better to stay where you are, and appreciate what you have." John says.

"Chill out, John. Remi, if you really want to get stronger, we can help you. That's what friends are for, right?" I say. "Thank you, Luke!" She responds. "So when were you thinking about starting?" John asks. "How about right now?" She suggests. "Like, right now?" Me and John say in unison. "You guys are so similar to Blyke and Isen." She says, stifling a laugh. "Fine. We'll practice when we're done with supper." I say.

Remi POV

Once we finished, we went out to the backyard of the house to practice. "So where do we start?" I ask. "Well, in order to train you, we need to see where you're at." Luke says. "And in order to do that, I'm going to need to fight you." John says with a smile. I start to panic, remembering what he did at his old school. "Relax, Remi." Luke says. "If he starts to go overboard, I can deal with him." He says, lighting his eyes up. "Okay." I say, calming down. "Let's do this!" John says, activating his ability and charging towards me.

The fight was over almost as soon as it started. When John was charging me, I launched a volley of lightning at him, which he blocked by calling lightning down into a wall just in front of him. While I was distracted, he launched two bolts of lightning at me around his shield, which I tried to cancel out with my own lightning, but his was too powerful. They both shocked me, and while I do have resistance thanks to my ability, it still hurt like hell, breaking my concentration. John charged forwards, coating his fist in jet black lightning, before going to punch me. I closed my eyes, awaiting the impact. It never came. I open my eyes, only to see John in front of me, fist extended, smile on his face. "Game over." He says, depowering and stepping back. "You're by no means weak, but you're not incredibly powerful. Now, let's start training." He says, cracking his knuckles.