Chapter Four

Chapter Four
Eager Beavers

Word Count: 1.9k

As fresh snow slowly drifted down, the ground looked untouched. Like no one new had come around.

They are looked around to find anything that wasn't there earlier, only to hear another 'psst.' Everyone snapped their heads over to where the sound had come from. There was nothing there.

As they were preoccupied with looking that way, the sound of movement was heard from the other side, making everyone once again snap their heads to the source. Nothing.

Next thing they knew, the sound was in front of them. Lucy clung to Susan, while Susan was holding onto Peter's arm. Melody instinctively moved closer to Peter, who, surprisingly, grabbed her hand and pulled her right up to them. 

They were all huddled together, afraid of whatever could be out there.

Not before long, a small, brown, figure scurried out from behind a rock.

"It... It's a beaver..." Lucy said, confused.

Peter let go of his sister and of Melody as he stepped forward, towards the animal. He held out his hand as if he was holding a treat. "Here boy." He clicked his mouth a couple of times, going closer to the beaver as the beaver moved closer to him. "Here boy." He repeated before clicking again. 

His hand was open, right in front of the beaver's face. "Well, I ain't gonna smell it if that's what you want."

Lucy giggled as Peter slowly backed away, unsure of what to say. "Oh, sorry..."

"Lucy Pevensie." The beaver said, pointing to the girl as her giggling came to a halt.

She walked past the others, moving right in front of the beaver. "Y-Yes?"

He held up what looked to be a small white cloth. Lucy took it from him, inspecting it. "Hey, that's the hankey I gave Mr. Tumnus."

The beaver nodded, saying 'Tumnus' at the same time as her. "He got it to me just before they took 'im.

"Is he alright?" She asked, looking from the cloth to the beaver.

The beaver looked around, making sure no one else was around. "Further in." He whispers before slipping away and deeper into the forest.

Lucy, Peter, and Melody all begin to follow the beaver when Susan reaches out and grabs Peter and Melody's shoulders. "What are you doing?"

"She's right," Edmund walks up next to his sister. "How do you know we can trust him?"

"He says he knows the faun." Peter points out.

"And what else are we going to do?" Melody asks. "We can't expect to find him ourselves, and we certainly can't sit around and do nothing."

"But we shouldn't be following a beaver around. He shouldn't even be talking." Susan had a point. It was still a little crazy to think they'd be talking to and following a beaver, but then again, they were in a world in a wardrobe.

The beaver reappeared, hovering on a rock. "Everything alright?"

Melody whipped around, looking at the beaver. "Yes, we were just talking. That's all."

The beaver looked to sniff the air. "That's better left for safer quarters."

Melody furrowed her eyebrows a little bit. "What-"