Chapter Eight (II)

Chapter Eight (II)
Back to Battle

Word Count: 1.1k

"Ed, just let me do it myself." Peter groaned out in frustration. His armor was almost completely on, except for his helmet and gloves.

Edmund rolled his eyes and puts his hands up in defense. "I was just trying to help, Peter."

"Well, I don't need it." He grabbed his gloves, shaking them out for a moment before starting to put them on. 

Caspian had gone to help him prep after he finished with the girls but ended up mostly just watching. "You'll have to be careful with Miraz."

"I already got that."

He would never admit it to anyone, but Peter was a bit nervous. The only thing he knew of Miraz is what he's been told and of that brief encounter they had. He didn't know his fighting strategy or his ways. He did know how he was going to play dirty.

The sounds of light footsteps grabbed Edmund and Caspian's attention, but not Peter's.

Melody was holding onto her dress, to make sure it didn't drag. Something else was in her hand but it was completely covered.

"Save that snarky attitude for Miraz, Peter. Not Edmund and Caspian."

Peter looked up at the sound of her voice. Like magic, the sight of her calmed him down almost entirely.

Edmund made a noise resembling a snicker. "I can agree with that."

She rolled her eyes and walked over, pushing his head a little. He was taller than her by now, but not by too much. "I need to talk with him, so I need you guys to go somewhere else."

The two of them left quickly, knowing they didn't want to see or hear what the other two were gonna talk about.

Peter looked away from Melody and finished pulling on his glove. He had hesitated to do it before, mostly just fidgeting with it. She walked over next to him, picking up his helmet. She set what was in her hand down for a moment.

She smiled a little to herself, knowing the perfect to lighten the mood. "Your head must have grown before we left, cause this helmet seems so much smaller than I remember." She tried to keep a straight, serious face, but that didn't work too well.

She saw him crack a smile out of the corner of her eye. "Yeah, well that head had to rule over a Kingdom."

She set his helmet back down and stood in front of his. "And this head," she put both hands on each side of his face. "Has to continue that rule."

He sighed a little and looked down.

She softly rubbed his cheek as his hands were placed on her waist. "What's wrong?" She asks softly.

"Maybe you're right. This is a bad idea, like before." He wouldn't admit that to anyone but her. She was the only one he could be this truthful around.

She shook her head, making him look at her. "No, I was wrong. About this, at least. I just..." She trailed off, trying to think of what to say. "I was being selfish."

"You? Selfish?" He asked with a small smirk.

She giggled a little and nodded. "Yes, selfish." She went a bit serious again. "After the attack on the castle, I just want us to stick together. To fight by each other's sides. I want to fight by you. How can I do that if it's just you, one on one?" 

Peter lightly squeezes her. "Melody-"

She cuts him off. "I don't know Miraz, but from what I've seen, Telmarine's don't play fair. And I'm scared, Peter. I'm scared of what they might try to do to you."

He lightly kissed her on the forehead before bringing her into a hug. "We're going to be ready for anything they pull." He tried to soothe her.

She wraps her arms around him to return the hug. "Promise me something, Peter."

"How many promises are we going to make?" He jokes softly, his mild laughter shaking both their bodies and comforting her more.

"As many as I want." She looked up into his eyes. Eyes she's loved since she first got lost in them. "Promise me, that you won't let Miraz get the best of you. And if something goes wrong, you'll get Edmund's help."

He sighed. "Melody, this is a one on one challenge to death."

"Please, Peter." She pleaded. She didn't care if he actually did it. She just wanted to hear, to believe, he would.

Slowly, he nods his head. "I promise..."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Once she exhaled, Peter's lips were on hers. They were soft yet needy. The last thing he wanted to feel was her lips on his. Nothing else.

"Peter, it's time."

They abruptly pulled apart to see Edmund suited up standing in the archway.

Melody went over and grabbed the object from before and the helmet. She took Peter's hand, walking out of the How beside Edmund and Caspian. Edmund was carrying Rhindon and as Peter held his shield.

Cheers erupted from the Narnians as they watched their King get ready to fight for their freedom. Miraz's army was yelling for bloodshed.

Miraz and some of his men stood waiting in the middle on their side. Glenstorm was waiting in the middle on their own side.

When they got to the middle, Melody turned to Peter. He bowed his head a little as she fixed his chainmail and put his helmet on. She slipped the object she had been carrying into his hand. "For luck..." She whispered before stepping off next to the centaur. She picked up a sword that was leaning against a pillar, sheathing it in her armor.

Peter inspected the object. It was her mother's ring. A ring she never trusted anyone to have and never took off unless she needed to fight. And she was giving it to him.

"Peter," Edmund whispered, holding out his sword. 

Peter slipped the ring in a pocket before pulling his sword out of the sheath in his brother's hands. He stepped forward as more cheers passed behind them.

They lightly circled each other, as if to plan out their fighting strategy.

"There is still time to surrender." Miraz started.

"Well, feel free."

He shook his head. "How many more must die for the throne?"

"Just one." Peter slid the face cover down on his helmet, raising his sword and charging towards his opponent.

====

I was going to make this longer, but since it's really close to the end I'm gonna drag it out just a tad bit.

But anyway, thank you for reading! The next chapter will be posted Thursday.