Chapter Nine (II)

Chapter Nine (II)
A Fight for the Ages

Word Count: 1.5k

Peter stepped up on a broken pillar and jumped towards Miraz, his sword crashing against his shield.

In Melody's ears, the grunts and yells from the fight crowded out the cheers of the people. She was too hyper-focused on Peter. All she wanted to do was help. Make sure he didn't get even the littlest bit hurt.

They swung at each other again, this time Miraz knocked Peter's head with his sword, sending him stumbling back. That didn't stop him for too long as they immediately went back to swords clanking against one another.

Peter sliced at Miraz a couple of times, making it seem like he was getting the upper hand. He was able to dodge the blows until he was again hit in the face with a shield. This hit didn't send him stumbling but his helmet flying.

Melody gasped a little and glanced over at Edmund, not missing the expression on his face. She clutched the hilt of her sword, desperately fighting the urge to go out there.

Miraz swiped at the boy's neck, missing it by inches. 

Peter got back by slashing open his uncovered leg. 

The fight seemed to pause for a moment as the two let out painful breaths with gritted teeth. Miraz took this opportunity to charge at Peter, only for him to roll as a way to dodge the attack.

Quickly back on his feet, he blocked the other attacks. Attacks of a sword, of course. The one attack he couldn't block was his feet being swept out from under him.

Miraz stood over him, slamming his foot down on Peter's shield.

Melody nearly threw up at the sound of a crack and his cry of pain. She didn't notice she was stepping forward until Edmund pulled her back. "He can do this." He whispered.

She shakes her head. "We have to do something. I have to do something."

"You can't." He replies, making sure she was still beside him.

Back at the fight, Peter was able to block Miraz's sword with his own, rolling away with each block. Before long, he was able to get back at the older man. Miraz fell to the ground as Peter quickly got to his feet. Miraz got back up as fast as he could.

Everyone's attention shifted to a horse that emerged from the forest. Caspian and Susan were on its back.

Miraz and Peter exchanged a few words before they both limped off to their respective sides. A respite had been called. Edmund went out and grabbed Peter's helmet before helping him back over.

Caspian and Susan got off the horse and stood next to Melody.

"Lucy?" Was the first thing Peter thought of.

Susan nodded a little. "She got through. With a little help."

Peter looked at Caspian. "Thanks."

"Well, you were busy."

Melody put a hand on Peter's good arm. "Sit down. We need to address your injuries."

He nods and but doesn't sit yet. "You should get up there." He said, glancing at his sister. "Just in case. I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word."

Susan hugged him, them talking for a moment before she walked off into the How to join the archers.

Edmund looked from the Narnians to Peter. "Keep smiling."