Chapter Five (II)

Chapter Five (II)
Personally Perfect Storm

Word Count: 2.2k

Peter never wanted to leave anything to chance. If something could be done now, he would do it now. "It's only a matter of time." He stood at the front of the stone table. "Miraz's men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

Reepicheep was standing off to the side. "What do you propose we do, your Majesty?"

Caspian and Peter both started to speak at the same time.

"We need to get ready for it."

"To start planning for..."

They stopped and looked at each other. Peter was almost giving Caspian a look as if saying he was the rightful 'Majesty.' "Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us."

Caspian stepped forward. "But that's crazy. No one has taken that castle."

"There's always a first time."

Trumpkin spoke from behind Peter. "We'll have the element of surprise."

"But we have the advantage here." Caspian tried to reason. He didn't have much power over the High King.

Susan stood up from where she sat, behind him. "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely." She and he shared a look.

Melody was sitting next to her. She also stood up and walked over beside Peter. "We have to think this through, Peter. We can't just attack." She didn't like the idea of storming Miraz's castle. She thought it was too risky.

"I, for one, feel safer underground," Trufflehunter said.

Peter looked back towards Caspian. "Look. I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes," Edmund started from where he sat. "And if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out."

The jittery squirrel from before opened his mouth. "We could collect nuts!"

"Yes!" Reepicheep said in a mockery way. "And throw them at the Telmarines! Shut up!" He looks back towards the Kings, Queens, and Prince. "I think you know where I stand, sire."

"Peter, we can't just make this decision on the fly." Melody tried to reason.

He looked at her for a moment. "We did with Jadis." He turned to the Glenstorm. He was like the Oreius of this time. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"

"Or die trying, my liege." He nodded his head.

Lucy, who had been quietly sitting on the stone table, piped in. "That's what I'm worried about."

Peter turned to her, confused. "Sorry?"

"Well, you're all acting like there's only two options - dying here, or dying there."

"I'm not really sure you've been listening, Lu." Peter wasn't having what his little sister was saying.

But she was strongminded. "No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

That struck a chord. "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." He walked out of the room, making his point quite clear.

Melody sighed and shook her head. "I'll try to talk some sense into him." She said, looking between Susan and Lucy. She picked up the hem of her dress and rushed off after him.