Chapter One (II)

Chapter One (II)
Don't Lose Your Head

Word Count: 1.5k

Melody smoothed out her dull grey skirt for the millionth time that day. She had been sitting in the passenger's seat of her grandmother's 1933 Pierce Arrow for what felt like hours.

Once they had returned from Narnia, they had to get reaccustomed to being teenagers again. They didn't do much of that at Professor Kirke's, since most of the time it was only the five of them. They didn't need to put up an act around each other.

But when the war ended, the Pevensies went back home and Melody went back to her grandmother's. That was the hardest transition.

She wrote to them basically every day, and they always wrote back. Especially Peter. It felt so weird. She went from seeing them every day, from them being her family, to simply only their friend that lived miles away.

There wasn't a day when she didn't think of them. Of their adventures. Of their love. She felt like she had been hit the hardest by the change - she went from being a married woman, so madly in love, to a teenager who wasn't supposed to have her life together, yet still madly in love.

The sudden opening of the driver's side door jolted Melody out of her thoughts.

"The train should be here in half an hour, dearie." Grandmother popped her head in the car. "Would you stop fidgeting, dearie? You're going to wear your hands."

She didn't even notice that she had started playing with the ring she had worn around her neck. When they returned, they didn't have anything from Narnia. At least, they thought they didn't. Melody realized when she returned to the English home that she kept two things - her mother's ring and her engagement ring.

She wore her mother's ring every day, but it felt wrong for her to wear the engagement ring. So she wore it as a necklace instead.

Grandmother got into the car and rested a reassuring hand on her granddaughter's arm. "It'll be alright, dearie. I'm sure they couldn't have changed that much."

Grandmother knew all about Narnia. She had gone there herself when she was a little girl and knew of her son also going. Melody had reminisced about their time there, and the older woman understood it all.

"I'm sorry..." She mumbled, shifting in her seat a little. "I just want to see them again. I've missed them so much."

She smiled softly. "I know, dearie. You will see them soon enough."

A voice cut through their moment, calling for Grandmother. She sighed and started to get out of the car again. "I'll be right back."

Melody nodded and watched as she got out of the car and shut the door.

She let out a deep sigh and picked up the ring that lay around her neck. "It's been too long..." She whispered to herself before kissing the middle red diamond. 

It had been a whole year. Why couldn't they have stayed in Narnia? Or at least returned sooner? She was starting to believe they wouldn't ever go back.

Peter and she had made a promise to each other before they left Professor Kirke's. No matter what, they would find each other. And no matter what, they would stay by each other's side. No matter what they would love each other.

Dropping that ring, she pulled off the one from her finger. "Mother, what do I do?" She lightly pressed the blue gem. She sighed in disappointment when it didn't shift into her staff, even though she knew it wouldn't. Magic didn't work on Earth.