Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
A Crazy Tail

Word Count: 1.4k

The ice was melting away fast. Most of the river was just that, water rushing in a way that could be dangerous for them if they weren't careful. The frozen waterfall that flowed into the river could be heard starting to break down. Things were about to get a whole lot worse.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter's voice was urgent.

Lucy looked at the Beavers. "Don't beavers make dams?"

Mr. Beaver shook his head. "I'm not that fast, dear."

"Come on!" Melody rushes the group, pulling at Peter's arm slightly.

He grabs Lucy's hand and pulls her with him, Melody, and the Beavers.

Susan was the one who stopped them. "Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?"

Melody let go of Peter and went up to her, now pulling at her arm. "We don't have a minute, Susan." She pleads.

"I'm just trying to be realistic." 

"No," Peter steps up slightly. "You're trying to be smart. As usual." He retorts.

They continue to go when the sounds of howling wolves start. They've been found. Again. They got louder and louder as the group makes their way down to the river quickly but carefully.

They get down to the river, the ice cracking loud and clear. 

Peter took a step onto the ice, quickly stepping back once it faltered under him.

"Wait," Mr. Beaver went in front of him. "Maybe I should go first."

"Maybe you should." Peter agreed, gulping slightly.

Beaver stepped ahead, lightly treading across the fragile ice. He used his tail every now and then to lightly pat the ground, making sure he could take a step there. 

The ice broke around him, causing Mrs. Beaver to point out something. "You've been sneaking seconds helpings, haven't you?"

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking."

Mrs. Beaver started behind her husband, followed by Peter as he held onto Lucy's hand.

Melody quickly took her Edgar Allan Poe book out of her pocket and stuffed it into her satchel, hoping that if they fell in, they'd at least be relatively dry.

She lightly took Susan's hand as the slightly younger girl went after her brother and sister.

Ice creaked and cracked constantly under them, causing shrieks to come from Lucy and smalls ones from Melody.

"If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan said mostly to herself.

Peter turned to her. "Mum's not here."

They continued on for a little but stopped when wolves started to run across the top of the waterfall, chunks of ice falling from it.

"No!" Melody gasps seeing this.

Peter grips Lucy's hand. "Run!" He yells, them all listening.

Ice breaks as they run by it, but they had no time to think about it. 

Abruptly, a wolf jumped in their path, causing them to have to stop. It snarled and stalked forward, a scream coming from Lucy as it did.

They tried to back up, but there wasn't much ice for them to step on and more wolves had come to circle them.