Chapter Five

Chapter Five
When a Wolf Attacks

Word Count: 2.2k

They were back outside in the cold. It was still lightly snowing, but not enough to bring a new layer to what they've walked on.

Mr. Beaver explained to them that, right before him and Edmund had entered the house, he caught him staring up at the Witch's castle. He suspected Edmund is working with her, a feat that is dangerous for both him and the rest of them.

"Where are you taking us?" Susan was walking right behind Mr. Beaver. Melody was beside her, and Peter was walking with Lucy behind them.

"You'll see soon enough." Mr. Beaver didn't look back as he spoke.

The snow they were walking through seemed to be deeper than the snow they walked through before. Melody was short for her age, making the fur coat too long and dragging across the ground behind her.

She tried picking up the bottom of the coat, hoping to be able to walk a little more steady that way. Once she had it off the ground, the wet ends brushed against her bare legs. This sent a strong tingling sensation throughout her whole body. She squealed out surprised and lost control of her legs, ultimately falling backward.

She shut her eyes tightly, ready the impact of the cold ground, but that's not what she felt. Instead, she felt two arms catch her, wrapping themselves around her waist.

Slowly opening her eyes, she looked back to see Peter face centimeters from hers. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, concern lacing his voice.

She nodded a little, a bright red blush spreading along her cheeks. "Y-Yeah, thank you..." She says quietly.

He helped her stand up properly, removing his hands from around her waist. "There you go." He flashed her a small smile.

She smiled back, brushing her hair out of her face. "Thanks, again."

He nodded. It looked as if he was opening his mouth to say something, but Mr. Beaver had called out to them. "You three hurry up! We're almost there!"

The last few steps were a quick rush up a hill, freezing when they saw a giant castle standing off in the distance. It was made completely out of ice, and somehow parts appeared to be glowing. While no one said it, they all could probably agree it was a beautifully dangerous building. One they, in no way, really wanted to go to.

Lucy took a deep breath. "Edmund!" She screamed, seeing if he was approximately around and if he would hear her and come back.

Mr. Beaver turned and frantically shushed her. "They'll hear ya!" He whisper-yelled, looking back at the forlorn castle.

Peter gritted his teeth and began running to it. Beaver wouldn't let him, lunging and grabbing onto his coat, with a loud, "NO!"

"What are you doing? Get off me!" He swung at the beaver lightly until he let go.

Beaver took a few steps back, looking up at the foolish boy. "You're playing into her hands!"

"We can't just let him go." Susan looked at the creature.

Lucy was quick to jump in. "He's our brother!"

"He's the bait!" Beaver was desperately trying to get through to the siblings. "The Witch wants all four of you, and maybe even the fifth one too!"

"But why?" Melody stepped up next to Peter. She might not have known them for long, but she felt like she had to help them.

"To stop the prophecy from coming true." Beaver sounded as if that should be the most obvious thing in the world. "To kill ya!" He looked between all the girls and boy.